außer da zu sein, auch noch etwas haben müsste oder auch nur könnte

Cesar Castro

Spanish
Hello all

I would like your opinion about the translation of this german phrase of Günther Anders:

Warum setzen Sie eigentlich voraus, dass ein Leben, außer da zu sein, auch noch etwas haben müsste oder auch nur könnte – eben das, was Sie Sinn nennen?

Why do you presuppose in fact, that a life, apart from being should or could also have something else of that what we call meaning?

< ... >

Thanks for your opinions

:)

Last edited:
  • Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello Cesar :)

Welcome to the German forum!

In these forums, we don't deal with the translation of entire sentences. Since the forum discussions are supplementary to the WordReference dictionary, each thread shall deal with just one word or expression or very specific grammar doubt. In this way, someone who looks up a word in the dictionary will be able to find the relevant threads, too. :)

Now I tried to find the doubt that you might have with this sentence, and I guess that it's the structure of the wording "außer da zu sein, auch noch etwas haben müsste" (and I put these words in the thread title).

If there are additional aspects in this sentence that you would like to discuss, please start a new thread for each of them (according to our
    forum rule #2).

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello Cesar :)

Warum setzen Sie eigentlich voraus, dass ein Leben, außer da zu sein, auch noch etwas haben müsste oder auch nur könnte – eben das, was Sie Sinn nennen?
    Sorry, I was so absorbed in writing my Mod note above that I forgot to answer your actual question. I understand the structure in the following way:

(The) life (of someone) exists, it happens, it is there.
    Günter Anders' interlocutor thinks that this life should or could also have something; and this something is called the meaning (of life) by that person.

And now Günther Anders asks his interlocutor why he makes that presupposition (that a life should or could have that quality (meaning)). This is the rough structure. The words that I find most difficult to handle are "oder auch nur". With these words, I think, he expresses doubt about the ability of a life to have meaning.

I'm writing "a life" because I think he speaks (in an exemplary manner) about the life of one hypothetical person. Otherwise he would have said "dass das Leben...". These are my thoughts so far.

Last edited:

Cesar Castro

Spanish
    Waw, nice phrase, so the translation would be more like:
    Why do you presuppose as a fact, that a life, apart from being, should or could also have something else of that what you call meaning?

< Previous | Next >