au cas où, le cas échéant (liaison)

timpeac

English (England)
Hi - is "au cas où" pronounced "au ca zoo" or "au ca oo" ?

Is it the same for "dans le cas où xxx se passe" - "ca zoo" ou "ca oo". Thanks.

• anangelaway

French
    timpeac said:
    Hi - is "au cas où" pronounced "au ca zoo" or "au ca oo" ?

Is it the same for "dans le cas où xxx se passe" - "ca zoo" ou "ca oo". Thanks.
    Coucou Tim !

I pronounce 'au cas où' => 'au ca zoo' if at the end of the sentence, and if at the beginning of the sentence, I will pronounce 'au ca oo'.
    As for your second example, 'dans le cas où...' => 'au cas oo'. Ne me demande pas pourquoi...

timpeac

English (England)
    anangelaway said:
    Coucou Tim !

I pronounce 'au cas où' => 'au ca zoo' if at the end of the sentence, and if at the beginning of the sentence, I will pronounce 'au ca oo'.
    As for your second example, 'dans le cas où...' => 'au cas oo'. Ne me demande pas pourquoi...
    Salut ! Sorry I don't understand what you mean in your last sentence - "dans le cas où" > "au cas oo" :confused: . Do you mean you never say "dans le cas où" ?

For the first part of your answer, would you mind giving an example sentence of one where you pronounce the "s" and one where you don't?

Sorry to be so demanding!:D

anangelaway

French
    timpeac said:
    Salut ! Sorry I don't understand what you mean in your last sentence - "dans le cas où" > "au cas oo" :confused: . Do you mean you never say "dans le cas où" ?

For the first part of your answer, would you mind giving an example sentence of one where you pronounce the "s" and one where you don't?

Sorry to be so demanding!:D
    D'accord, je suis piégée. Mea culpa, j'ai fait une erreur ici :
    = > As for your second example, 'dans le cas où...' => 'dans le ca oo''.

Oui, alors deux exemples :
    - Au cas où l'on ne pourrait se voir ce weekend... = > pas de liaison: ca oo (dans mon cas)
    - Tu devrais prendre ton parapluie pour ce soir, au cas où... => liaison: ca zoo.

Dans le second cas, je pense que certains ne feraient pas la liaison, moi en l'occurence je la fait. Est-ce régional ? Astral ? I don't know... :)

timpeac

English (England)
    Merci, c'est très clair maintenant.:) I asked this, by the way, because I have always said "au ca oo" and no one has ever corrected me - but I just heard a song called "au cas où" where it is "au ca zoo" throughout (which agrees with your suggested pronunciation "at the end", "as a stand alone comment").

Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Est-ce qu'il y a une liaison dans les expressions avec "le cas?"
    "au cas où" et "le cas échéant?" Merci d'avance.

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    As you can see, Charlie, you thought French grammar was not easy - wait for French pronunciation...
    Au cas où : some people will liaise (can you say that?...), some won't...
    Le cas échéant : most will
    C'est un cas où..., Dans le cas où... : never

I can't think of other cases where the liaison is required - though there probably are.
    My feeling - but others will not agree - is that, if you avoid the liaison, you will hardly shock. If you random guess, you will fail. If you get it right everytime, you're Neo - the One.

Paf le chien

France-French (Paris)
    Au cas où : some people will liaise (can you say that?...), some won't...
    Le cas échéant : most will
    C'est un cas où..., Dans le cas où... : never
    I will always do liaisons for "cas +vowel" when I readout. With no exception (it's the rule).

When speaking, it depends who I am talking to: if it's colloquial, probably I will miss some (maybe with JDS rules, but probably not exactly), if it's formal I'll always do liaisons !

The current french speaking trends are to miss most liaisons, which I don't like.

But it's very personnal, of course ;).

Paf le chien

France-French (Paris)
    You would say dans le cas-z-où tu te perdrais ?
    Je mange un en-cas-z-en vitesse ?...
    Wow - there are not many like you!...
    Thank you. But... yes. At least when I readout. Mostly when I speak formally (OK, maybe I can miss one or two, but I avoid to).
    And I'm not the only one, very sorry.:confused:

But I agree that in Paris, they tend to eat most liaisons. And I dont like it. And Paris is not France. :(

In Anjou, they do them mostly, which I really prefer. :cool:

And in the cases you gave, there are no euphonia problems against doing the liaison, which is and has always been the default rule: "silent 's' + vowel" => liaison :confused:

Did you mean "euphonia" instead od "usage" ? :confused:

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I personnaly do the liaison in au cas où (ôkazou) only if it is used at the end of a sentence. I say ôkaou (no liaison) if it is at the beginning of a sentence.
    I found a previous thread (post #10 ad following posts)

I don't make the liaison in le cas échéant. I'm not 100% sure what the exact rule is and whether or not it's OK not to make the liaison (though I'm almost sure it is part of the facultative ones)... I just don't. ;)

C'est un cas où, dans le cas où... I don't do the liaison either.

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    As I said, euphony (sorry for my previous euphonia...) is the rule - and it seems obvious, after reading those past posts, that what is pleasing to someone's ear may not be pleasant to someone else's...

Though I've been living in many regions in France, I can't remember hearing liaisons systematically been made.

I could not get used to saying le puits-z-est au fond du jardin, or il est toujours requis-z-en français de prononcer les liaisons.
    But I would certainly not blame anybody for doing it...

janpol

France - français
    J'ai relu les nombreux posts de ce fil, alors...
    à propos de la liaison (kazoo/ka oo) en fonction de la place : je ne fais jamais cette liaison
    […]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >