Au dernier cours de couture

Fantaghiro

Français
Bonjour,

Comment retranscrire ces mots? "Au dernier cours de couture, nous avons vu..." (Contexte: Une élève explique à ses parents ce qu'elle a appris récemment).

Dirait-on "At/On the last sewing class, we studied..." ?

TY! :)

• joelooc

French (Provence)
    During the previous sewing class we learned (how) to
    but I'm no expert at sewing :p
    (be careful with the pronounciation of sewing, it's somewhat tricky)

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Suggestion d'une francophone : In our last sewing lesson, we learned...

Edit : Je n'avais pas lu la suggestion de moustic. J'ai hésité entre in et at.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Merci, moustic. Tu me rassures. :)

Mais je serais plus portée à dire (par exemple) : I'm taking sewing lessons que sewing classes.
    D'où le remplacement de class par lesson. Je présume que les deux se disent.

Last edited:

Fantaghiro

Français
    Pour les cours de couture, si c'était une matière scolaire, genre "sports class", on pourrait quand même mettre "lesson"?
    Dans mon esprit, "class", ça fait plus "cours scolaire", et "lesson", plus extra-scolaire. Mais je peux me tromper...

moustic

English (Yorkshire)
    J'utilise les deux mots dans les deux contextes que tu cites, Fantaghiro.
    Dans une situation extra-scolaire (comme c'est le cas ici, je présume), je pense que j'utilise "classe" pour un cours collectif et "lesson" pour un cours individuel. Par exemple : I go to dancing class. ou I have piano lessons.

edit: cross-posted with wildan1 (and we seem to agree!)

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Lesson : a section into which a course of study is divided, especially a single, continuous session of formal instruction in a subject:
    The manual was broken down into 50 lessons.
    Aussi :
    Class : ( room in school in which student sit to learn )
    a group of students who are taught together
    Example :
    We were in the same class at school./ She is the youngest in her class. /He came top of the class.
    Lesson : (it is the information you learn in the class) / something that is intended to be learned:
    Example :
    The book is divided into 30 lessons
    J'ai souvent lu et entendu "group lessons".
    - Group lessons allow you to meet new friends and learn skills in a supportive environment while surrounded with stunning views.
    - Home-schooler Sewing Lessons - Daytime group lessons are available for home-schoolers upon request.
    - We also offer private instruction on using your machine or group lessons in our classroom.
    Je continue de penser que les deux sont possibles, mais je ne suis pas anglophone... et le choix final ne sera pas le mien. ;)

Last edited:

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    nicomon said:
    We were in the same class at school./ She is the youngest in her class. /He came top of the class.
    Those contexts suggest FR promotion rather than cours/classe, (and it seems that this latter sometimes means classroom, not the people in it).

Being in the same "class" at school does not always mean you were in the same FR section, but just the same year, although possibly in a different group of students or courses.

(The difference here may depend on the French-speaking country's use of these words--in either English or French, "two continents separated by a common language" ;).)

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Those contexts suggest FR promotion rather than cours/classe, (and it seems that this latter sometimes means classroom, not the people in it).
    I may have misunderstood the meaning of class... but I didn't understand it as the French promotion in the given examples.
    In Québec, the French word classe corresponds to these definitions:
    ÉDUCATION – Division des élèves d’un établissement scolaire en fonction de leur niveau d’études. La classe de cinquième.
    Groupe d’élèves qui suivent un même programme. Classe de trente élèves.
    And yes, classe can also mean classroom or teaching (faire la classe).
    Promotion is defined as:
    Ensemble des diplômés d’un établissement d’enseignement qui ont terminé la même année le même programme d’étude.
    I don't know what you mean by section.;) Going back to class versus lesson.
    Copied from posts 10 and 11 of the thread class vs. lesson (post #17 is interesting, too) :
    [...] a lesson can be taken either privately or with a group of people; a class is always taught to a group.
    'Last week, we looked at Lesson Six. Today we're at Lesson Seven.
    '
    From this page :
    Course is the broadest term for the study of a subject. It could be used to refer to an entire degree program, but it is most appropriately applied to a specific subject such as
    First Year English Literature.
    Class is more specific and is most properly applied to a section of a course taught by one instructor to one group of students at a certain scheduled time.
    Lesson is the most specific and implies a particular unit of instruction, such as would be delivered by a particular instructor to a particular class on a given day.

In a "class" you take lessons. / In a "course" you take many classes
    . [...] According to OALD, class can also be used to describe a series of lessons on a particular subject (as a synonym of course), for example we can say pottery class and mean a series of classes/lessons.
    Randomly googled :
    - HAND SEWING CLASS. 11 Lessons.
    - MACHINE SEWING CLASS. 8 Lessons
    - Each class consists of 10 lessons, during which students will make 8-9 projects (e.g. tote bags and sling bags, drawstring pouches and zip pouches, and basic household items).
    So yes, class is perfectly fine. But I can't help it... whether they were private or in a group, I personally would say that I take sewing lessons.
    Just as I'd say piano lessons, dance lessons.

P.S. : Sorry to have been so long winded... again! :rolleyes: I'm done now.

Last edited: