1. M-I-LI New Member

France/French
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for the best way to translate "pour le fin fond de l'Afrique". (The whole sentence is a title for an article and goes: "Le meilleur du numérique pour le fin fond de l'Afrique"). Someone came up with "for the African out back" but it looks funny - maybe because I don't KNOW English well enough? "Deep in the heart of Africa" isn't quite right either. Would "frontier" work? Et utilisé comment? Merci à tous, M-I-LI

2. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Both frontier and outback are fine choices in my opinion.

3. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    Hello M-I-LI,

In English we usually say 'deepest Africa'.

You will see lots of references for 'deepest Africa' on Google if you do a search.

It means the most remote parts of Africa.

I hope this helps.

4. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I concur. :thumbsup:

5. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    Thanks David.:)

6. Wodwo Senior Member

London UK
    UK English
    I don't think either will do for Africa. They are too geographically specific. To me 'the outback' is in Australia and 'frontier' on its own just means a border or, if context indicates it's a wild region, suggests America, as in 'Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier'.

I'd be a little wary of 'deepest Africa', depending on the audience. To me it sounds a bit... well 19th century, or carrying connotations of the 'dark continent' and a rather colonialist view, but maybe I'm just being hypersensitive - and maybe also 'le fin fond de l'Afrique' is in similar vein. To be safe I'd go for something like 'most remote corners of Africa'. But at this level of twitchiness it's all pretty subjective.

7. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    FYI, ou can use in French "le fin fond de ..." for nearly any area.

Example:
    Dans le fin fond de la France, l'eau courante existe malgré tout.