Au hasard Balthazar

fobia

spanish, usa
Hi, can someone translate " Au hasard Baltazar"
is the name of an old movie that I wached last night,
I had look it out on my Spanish and inglish dic, and on the web but I just don't understand, somebody please.

• DDT

Italy - Italian
    Hi fobia,
    Welcome to WR forums :)

Let me please invite you to post the subject of your request in the title of next threads (please have a look at #4 in WR rules). I just changed the title of this thread in order to allow further searches for the same topic

DDT

anangelaway

French
    Bonjour Fobia!

''Au hasard'' could mean ''ramdomly'', and I beleive Robert Bresson used ''hasard'' that rhymes with the name of the donkey Balthazar.
    But also ''au hasard'' in the context of the film is related to Balthazar's life and all the people he meets through his life.
    This is what I beleive but it could be something else.

fobia

spanish, usa
    Thank you so much, I understand it better, you know I also asked my aunt, wich we speak spanish, and it does rimes when we translated in spanish, also I do think your are right about the title of the film that relates to the life of Balthazar as well that it rimes, and sence you know about the movie then you have probably seen it. Very touching!

viera

English/French/Slovak
    "Au hasard Balthazar" is also a kind of rhyming play on words, just like in English
    See you later, alligator
    After a while, crocodile.

In French, too, there are other examples, but I can't think of any.

Fred_C

Français
    "Au hasard Balthazar" is also a kind of rhyming play on words, just like in English
    See you later, alligator
    After a while, crocodile.

In French, too, there are other examples, but I can't think of any.
    reste cool, Raoul
    Mets-toi à l'aise, Blaise...

Lijia

American English - United States
    Risking being pedant, in the bressonian (yes it exists) language, "hasard" means "Grace".
    To follow up on the spiritual angle, I just watched an interview with Robert Bresson in which he said that he chose the name Balthazar because it was the name of one of the Three Kings, or Three Magis. And he chose this particular magi because he liked the way it rhymed with "au hasard."

Lijia

American English - United States
    To follow up on the spiritual angle, I just watched an interview with Robert Bresson in which he said that he chose the name Balthazar because it was the name of one of the Three Kings, or Three Magis. And he chose this particular magi because he liked the way it rhymed with "au hasard."
    Whoops, more exactly, he wanted a name from the (Judeo-Christian) Bible. And chose Balthazar, one of the 3 Magis, for the rhyme with "au hasard."

Itisi

English UK/French
    The title of the film has not been translated, actually, which is just as well...

'Balthazar, at Radom' is to my mind, awful. It sounds as if someone has just looked in the dictionary and not tried to make sense.

< Previous | Next >