audience de procédure

the pensive wombat

English - British & Australian
Greetings

I have been trying to follow the DSK story on France 2. I find the differences in the legal systems of France, USA and Australia confusing.

Can anyone please give me a translation of audience de procédure?

Thanks.

• Kecha

French (France)
    I don't know the word in English, but they are purely technical meetings during which the trial in itself hasn't started yet, they are just discussing problems if any, and setting up the dates for the proper trial. I think it is an "arraignment"? ALthough that's a bit different because the French system doesn't have "plea".

Kecha

French (France)
    Merci à tous.

L'ennui c'est que je ne comprends pas les dispositifs jurisprudentiels. On n'utilise pas le mot arraignment ici en Australie.
    "arraignment" is when the defendant (suspect) is officially notified of the charges against him, and he enters his "plea" ("guilty"/"not guilty").
    We don't have this part in France so that's why they translated as "audience de procédure" as it is the closest thing we have.

the pensive wombat

English - British & Australian
    Thanks, Kecha.

But DSK pleaded not guilty = non coupable on 6 June. This matches the Australian system of justice. He has now, to use our expression, entered a plea.

But I don't think we have anything like the audience de procédure here. I deduce that it is, quite literally, a 'procedural hearing.' They work out how the procedure to be followed.

I am ignorant of legal procedure. I hope that, unlike DSK, I stay that way!

All the best.

< Previous | Next >