audit a class <what is the UK equivalent of audit?>

Roundhouse

Bengali
Hi all,

I answered a question posted elsewhere. But someone pointed out a difference between a particular word usage in US and UK.

This person asked what is a student (or their behavior) called who sits in a class but is not registered.

Now in North America, I am certain, this is called auditing. The student does not register for the course like other students, as this student only just wants to learn the contents of the course and not sit for exams.

Cambridge dictionary defines audit as "to go to a class or educational course for pleasure or interest, without being tested or receiving a grade at the end".

Here is what Wikipedia says: "... an audit is an educational term for the completion of a course of study for which no assessment of the performance of the student is made nor grade awarded. Some institutions may record a grade of "audit" ... In this case, 'audit' indicates that the individual merely has received teaching, rather than being evaluated as having achieved a given standard of knowledge of the subject."

But all definitions of audit that corresponds to this meaning has <"US"> written beside it. Also, someone pointed out that in UK no one uses this word to mean the intended meaning. Of course I know what audit generally means.

My question is, what do people in UK call this student or his behavior (what is the UK equivalent of the US term audit)?

• Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    Hi all,

I answered a question posted elsewhere. But someone pointed out a difference between a particular word usage in US and UK.

This person asked what is a student (or their behavior) called who sits in a class but is not registered.

Now in North America, I am certain, this is called auditing. The student does not register for the course like other students, as this student only just wants to learn the contents of the course and not sit for exams.

My question is, what do people in UK call this student or his behavior (what is the UK equivalent of the US term audit)?
    In the US, at least at the universities where I have taught and worked as an administrator, students have to register for the course they want to audit They register as an auditor, and the course appears on their transcript as an audited course.
    There are (at least) two reasons for universities to do this:
    -- There can't be more students in the class than there are seats for them to sit in (and there can't be more students than the fire safety code will allow).
    -- Students can't sit in a class anonymously, learn all the material, get copies of the exams, etc., and then register for the course in the next semester and ace it (and auditors can't take a course for a grade after they've audited it).