1. LaseLiep Senior Member

    Hi everybody,

    I'm looking for the translation of "auditeur libre". You know it's when a person can attend to a course without being enrolled and without following laboratories and doing exams.


    Moderator's note: two threads have been merged to create this one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  2. cropje_jnr

    cropje_jnr Senior Member

    Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    The first thought to pop into my head was listener-in, but this is relatively informal and doesn't particularly fit the context of a course! It is more for meetings, etc.

    What do the others think? :)
  3. jmt_dh1 Senior Member

    Co. Durham, UK
    UK, English
    You can talk about an "observer" or a "visiting student/professor", but I don't think that really captures the expression. It's not a common situation in UK universities I don't think, and I can't find any concise term on the pages I've looked at. I'm still not allowed to post links, but google for the phrase "Attendance by non-members of the University at university lectures" to see an example of what I mean. Also the fact that english-language webpages for French institutions use "auditeur libre" untranslated, suggests that it's one of those terms that doesn't really have an equivalent in english.

    Hope that helps...
  4. Suehil

    Suehil Medemod

    Tillou, France
    British English
    I have often heard the phrase '..attending as an observer' used about courses or trainings. It may not be an official university term, but it is common everywhere else.
  5. LaseLiep Senior Member

    Thank you all of you for having spent time for me : )
    I think I will use Suehil's suggestion "attending as an observer".
  6. xlr Member

    Belgium French
    Do you kow the translation of "auditeur libre": a student who attends some courses at the university but he doesn't do the exam and doesn't have a "degree" (diplôme)
    Thank you!
  7. olliemae

    olliemae Senior Member

    Kyoto, Japan
    New Zealand/America, English
    We say "auditor". As in, I was auditing some classes last fall, but there were no other auditors in the class.
  8. SwissPete

    SwissPete Senior Member

    94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
  9. In the US, we say the person is "auditing a class".
  10. Camis12 Senior Member

    England, English
    we don't have that term in England though, you'd have to explain. Unregistered student doesn't work though, as if you weren't a member of the University you wouldn't be allowed to attend. Maybe you could say 'student attending non compulsory classes, or going to lectures in other subject, or going to lectures for fun?
  11. Padraig Senior Member

    Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    In Ireland, I have come across two terms, used in different universities: auditors and external students. Yet I think that, for a general readership, you might have to explain what is intended.
  12. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    sorry to dig this thread up, but in the United States, "auditing a class" is very commonly used.
  13. klodaway

    klodaway Senior Member

    I have heard/used it as well...

    See the Cambridge here.

  14. Suehil

    Suehil Medemod

    Tillou, France
    British English
    In BE, 'to audit' means 'to check', and couldn't be used in this context.
  15. LaseLiep Senior Member

    So I must be very carefull who I use this term with.

    Thank you all of you for your additional inputs.
  16. Donza New Member

    France - English
    We also refer to 'sitting in' on lectures - meaning to attend without actually taking the course.
  17. mgarizona

    mgarizona Senior Member

    Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    This is often referred to as "non-degree study" in US universities. Which offers "non-degree students." And while the verb "audit" is common--- to audit a class--- I would avoid 'auditors' as that more readily suggests investigative accountants.

Share This Page