auf Deutsch

Milcom

English - USA
I'm putting together a paper dealing with a couple of controversial Old Testament passages, and I wanted to come up with a catchy title. What I came up with is "Who Is Doing What to Whom auf Deutsch: German Influences on the Translation of Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13." But in this context, would it be auf Deutsch or in Deutsch? Thanks.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hmm... can you tell us more about the context? Are you saying German influenced the English translations of these verses, and if so, how?

Also, your title seems a bit too long to be catchy. :D Maybe once we have a better sense of what you’re trying to convey we can suggest rewordings.

Last edited:

Milcom

English - USA
    There's academic discussion going on about whether the Hebrew word for "male" in the passages refers to the insertive or receptive parties in the prohibited act. An important article on the subject has "Who Is Doing What to Whom?" as a part of its title, and I'm playing off of that. The Lutherbibel had "boy" instead of "male," making the passages into prohibitions of pederasty. Tyndale's English translation of the Pentateuch was influenced by Luther's translation; following Luther, he understood "male" to refer to the receptive party, but he did not quite follow Luther all the way as he did not translate it as "boy."

< Previous | Next >