Aussie [acceptable?]

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
Hi guys!

I've searched the web in order to find out if Aussie can be used with no intent to offend the....Aussie!!! :D

I mean, I'm writing a mail to a colleauge of mine in the USA (he's American) and I would like to say him that the information he's waiting for are not available at the moment because the Aussie, down under, are asleep.
The mail is not formal, of course, but I'm not writing to an old friend, just to a colleague I've never met face to face.

The question is: may I use the word Aussie(s) instead of Australians with no intention to offend (absit iniuria verbis)? If so, I have to pluralize Aussie in Aussies?

Thanks a lot, folks!

Giginho

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    The plural of Aussie is Aussies, so yes, if you're referring to more than one, you have to say Aussies.

I don't think there's anything offensive about it, though you might want to wait for an Australian to post to be sure, but even if Aussies isn't offensive, why not just say Australians? Aussies doesn't sound offensive, but it sounds really slangy and jokey and ultra-casual, and why would you want to sound slangy and jokey and ultra-casual with a colleague?

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Hi Kate and thank you for your post!

So, to slangy for a email between colleagues.....well, I'll go with "Australians"!

Thank you very much!

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    All I can say is that if I - but remember that I am a fan of grammar and language forums, so perhaps my reaction isn't typical :) - got an email from a colleague that said Aussies, I'd think to myself, "Why didn't he just say Australians?" I'd think the same thing about using Brits instead of British.

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Well, Kate, your impression is very usefull to me because we, Italians, can find acceptable words that you may find rude. Since I have to write to an American (he's in Orlando, FL) I'll abide by your guidelines!!

Thanks a lot!

tomtombp

Hungarian
    I think using Aussies perfectly fits the anyway ultra-casual and jokey style of the rest of the email, including blaming the Aussies for sleeping during their night and adding "down under".:)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    My Aussie friends have no objection to being called that, any more than I mind when Brits call me a Yank. However, it's a good idea to ask because there are also many offensive terms for people of various nationalities and in various ethnic groups. (There are probably more offensive terms than there are non-offensive terms, but that's more a topic for sociology or psychology than for language.)

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your opinions. I was concerned about the rudeness of this word but it seems to be acceptable.

So, fellas, thanks again, I'll use it next time!

Cheers

Giginho

< Previous | Next >