Australian English term: development application

marsbeing

Dear native speakers of English, what is a development application in Australian English?

Here is the sentence in which I came across this term.

Installing a wood heater

You will need to get an approval from your local council or you will need the installation to be associated with a development application.
Also, I have a question regarding the word "council".

To my knowledge, a council can operate at a city or county-level but can it operate at a lower level too? Is it another way of referring to a government?

Last edited:
  • Stoggler

UK English
    If you want to make any structural changes to your property, or wish to build a new structure, you require approval from the local authorities. A Development Application is the legal forms required to be completed by the developer which will then either be approved or rejected by the local authority.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... To my knowledge, a council can operate at a city or county-level but does it operate at a lower level too? Is it another way of referring to the local government?
    "Council" is a general term for a decision-making body. It can operate at any level and can have any type of powers. Forms of government vary a great deal from one country to another. There is no world-wide standardization of what this term must mean. Here, it means "whatever government agency must approve this heater installation."

Susan Y

British English
    The term "local government" is used to refer to local councils in Australia (as elsewhere), but Australian councils are not government departments - this term is used for an agency of the State or Federal Government. In Australia there is only one level of council, which may cover a city or rural area. Other countries have regional and town councils as well to cover larger and smaller geographical areas respectively.

One of the roles of a local council in Australia is to control building activities within their jurisdiction. Some (fairly major) building works require the owner to submit a development application to the local council ( a formal system of public notification, submissions and Council scrutiny); other, more minor works, may need some other lesser approval from council, which is more a matter of filling in a form.

I hope this helps.

< Previous | Next >