Authoring Environment

elisa_paglia

Italian - Italy
Hi everybody!

I am translating a course on environmental monitoring and found this sentence: "Scientists take samples to study the company its authoring environment: air, water, and soil."

I know the sentence is not grammatically correct, for me the possible correct sentence is: "Scientists take samples to study the company and its authoring environment: air, water, and soil." but I am open to suggestions.

I check the Internet for the term and the definition that came up was: "a toolkit to build software or digital contents" that is not relevant in this case...

I would propose this translation: "gli scienziati raccolgono campioni per studiare l'azienda e l'ambiente in cui opera: aria, acqua e suolo."

I went into the specific lecture and he describes contact (chemical, physicochemical, and physical) and remote monitoring with automatic sensors.

It is an introduction to the course where the teacher explains what environmental monitoring is and what the student will learn.

So for me, something is not right with this sentence since before it there are no references to a company.

Last edited:
  • AlabamaBoy

American English
    I am sorry to say that it looks like an editing error or a copy and paste error. The sentence does not make sense in English and there is not an obvious way to understand what was intended so that it can be fixed.

The best suggestion I could imagine is: "Scientists take samples to study the company's its authoring environment: air, water, and soil." Even that does not feel quite right as it is too generic. Maybe with the enitre context one could try to fill in the pieces, but this is not a translation problem. It is an error in the original text.

elisa_paglia

Italian - Italy
    I am sorry to say that it looks like an editing error or a copy and paste error. The sentence does not make sense in English and there is not an obvious way to understand what was intended so that it can be fixed.

The best suggestion I could imagine is: "Scientists take samples to study the company's its authoring environment: air, water, and soil." Even that does not feel quite right as it is too generic. Maybe with the enitre context one could try to fill in the pieces, but this is not a translation problem. It is an error in the original text.
    Thank you AlabamaBoy!

I thought as well, but I wanted to be sure since it was the first time I came across the term.