auto usate a km zero

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by leobaires, Aug 29, 2016.

1. leobaires New Member

Italian-Italy
    Hi everybody, How would you say "auto usate a km0", I mean a SECOND-HAND car that has never been driven? Is there an idiomatic expression for it? I can't find anyone. I found "never driven" "zero-mileage" but I need to be sure that the expression fit the context of the used car business. Thanks a lot!!!

2. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

English (Ireland)
    Hi there,

What is your full sentence in Italian and the context (is it for an advert, or if not, what exactly)?

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hai usato la funzione di ricerca?

KM. 0 - chilometri zero

4. leobaires New Member

Italian-Italy
    Si ho cercato nel forum per trovare threads precedenti. Quello che mi hai suggerito tu riguarda prodotti a km 0 e non macchine con kilometraggio 0

It is for a used cas dealer website. The full sentence is "Non vi sono rischi, vi sono garanzie offerte ed è facile trovare auto usate a km 0". My try is this, "Buying a used car from a dealer whose automobiles are certified pre-owned is far more reassuring: there are no risks, it provides guarantees and it is easy to find cars that have never been driven" How does it sound??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  5. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

English (Ireland)
    I would just suggest this change "guarantees are provided" - the rest is fine. Cars that have never been driven makes perfect sense to me.

6. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian from Italy
    I suggest "auto usate a km 0" = "second-hand and 0-km cars".

Bye,

Benzene

7. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian, standard
    And, of course, there's always the classic: low miles, owned by a little old lady. ;)

8. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    ...and another suggestion for AmE speakers, zero mileage used cars.

A used car that has never been driven? Even a brand new car should have some mileage on it from the test drive, right?;)

Bic.

9. leobaires New Member

Italian-Italy
    Got it! thanks!!!

10. Jelsah

Jelsah Senior Member

Naples
    British English
    Hi guys
    Just wanted to pick this thread back up again. Apparently in Italy a zero-chilometri car is one sold by a car dealer after being used as a display car for a certain amount of time. As a result, it already has a number plate and has been registered in the car dealer's name, which makes it easier and quicker for transferral to the customer. It usually only has 100 kilometres or fewer and is much cheaper than buying a brand-new one, even though it is almost new. Never heard of this system in England, but I am not a car addict.

So how about a SEMI-NEW car ? Because it is not exactly second hand either.

Any ideas for or against?
    Jelsah

11. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Istanbul
    Canada, English
    Personally I wouldn't say semi-new, unless you were talking among friends in a self-deprecating way. I've heard what you're describing called a "demo" or longer "showroom floor model".

12. Jelsah

Jelsah Senior Member

Naples
    British English
    Yes, I agree. DEMO or SHOWROOM-FLOOR model sounds good :)

13. King Crimson

King Crimson Modus in fabula

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Agree with rrose, the concept of "semi" would be open to interpretation (to say the least), especially in the shady world of used car dealing:D The "showroom floor model" suggested by rrose is a much better option: it conveys the idea of a car that has just been standing still on display and waiting for a customer looking for a "zero-chilometri car".

14. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
  15. Jelsah

Jelsah Senior Member

Naples
    British English
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Very helpful and I completely agree that SEMI NEW was not what I was looking for. SHOWROOM CAR or DEMO CAR were excellent suggestions which I adopted.
    Jelsah

16. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Newport News, Virginia
    English -USA
    In addition to the Canadians, represented admirably by rrose, I've seen the phrase "showroom car/model" used as well in the USA.

Phil