autofermentacją rozcieńczona rzadzizna

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
Analogiczny los spotykał też próbki pobierane z wszelkich wykwitów i tworów plazmy. Różniły się od siebie tylko drogi wiodące do końca, który przedstawiała lekka jak popiół, metalicznie lśniąca, autofermentacją rozcieńczona rzadzizna.​

New English translation:

A similar fate befell samples taken from the various productions and formations of the plasma. They differed from one another only in the path they took to the end, which constituted a watery fluid attenuated by auto-fermentation, light as ash and gleaming like metal.​

Old English translation:

The samples removed from the plasmatic growths and creations met with the same fate, with certain variations in the phases of decomposition. The end-product was always a light metallic ash.​

Google translation of the German translation:

The sample withdrawals from all efflorescences and formations of the plasma met a comparable lot. Only the paths to the end differed, which presented themselves as a metallic, spongy, ash-like sponge, which had a thin structure due to self-fermentation.​

As you can see, the last part is all different. Which one is correct, if any? What exactly does "rzadzizna" mean here?

• zaffy

Polish
    'Rzadzizna' is an odd word with a kind of pejorative sense. It is a noun made from the adjective 'rzadki'. Now, take a look at the second definition of 'rzadki' in PWN: rzadki – Słownik języka polskiego PWN When referred to liquids, it means 'watery'. Some soup can be described as "rzadka" if there are hardly any vegetables or pieces of meat in it as expected. So if I'm eating some soup that is not as thick as I would expect it to be, I might say in quite informal language "Co to za rzadzizna?"

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Analogiczny los spotykał też próbki pobierane z wszelkich wykwitów i tworów plazmy. Różniły się od siebie tylko drogi wiodące do końca, który przedstawiała lekka jak popiół, metalicznie lśniąca, autofermentacją rozcieńczona rzadzizna.​

New English translation:

A similar fate befell samples taken from the various productions and formations of the plasma. They differed from one another only in the path they took to the end, which constituted a watery fluid attenuated by auto-fermentation, light as ash and gleaming like metal.​

Old English translation:

The samples removed from the plasmatic growths and creations met with the same fate, with certain variations in the phases of decomposition. The end-product was always a light metallic ash.​

Google translation of the German translation:

The sample withdrawals from all efflorescences and formations of the plasma met a comparable lot. Only the paths to the end differed, which presented themselves as a metallic, spongy, ash-like sponge, which had a thin structure due to self-fermentation.​

As you can see, the last part is all different. Which one is correct, if any? What exactly does "rzadzizna" mean here?
    Rzadzizna is a contemptuous name of a "thin" fluid or slimy stuff, something diluted. Here it can't be "watery", because it does not match with comparing the stuff to ash.
    My proposal:
    A similar fate befell samples taken from the various productions and formations of the plasma. They differed from one another only in the path they took to the end, which constituted a slimy stuff diluted by auto-fermentation, light as ash and gleaming like metal.

< Previous | Next >