auxiliary = operator?

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

blabla31

Italian
From my book: "Lexical HAVE , especially in the broad sense of possession, may also be treated as on operator. Examples: I haven't any idea; Have you a book on this subject?". I think "operator" means "auxiliary", but I am not so sure! Can you help me, please?

• languageGuy

USA and English
    No, I think it means the opposite of auxiliary; it is a 'full verb.' It means that while 'have' is often used as auxilary verb, in many case it is the main verb, especially when talking about possession.

I have answered the question. --- auxiliary usage to 'answer'
    I have a question. -- operator usage (used as a full verb, not as an auxiliary)

xqby

English (U.S.)
    As far as I can tell, the idea here is that "have" sometimes obviates the need for "do."
    With a different verb you can't construct the sentences in quite the same way.

"I do not hear the song." :tick:
    "I not hear the song." :cross:

"I do not have any ideas." :tick:
    "I haven't any ideas." :tick:

blabla31

Italian
    No, I think it means the opposite of auxiliary; it is a 'full verb.' It means that while 'have' is often used as auxilary verb, in many case it is the main verb, especially when talking about possession.

I have answered the question. --- auxiliary usage to 'answer'
    I have a question. -- operator usage (used as a full verb, not as an auxiliary)
    I don't know. In my sentence I understand "lexixal have" as "main verb", "full verb". For example. Is "I haven't any idea" the same of "I don't have any idea"?

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Lexical have simply means the lexeme (word) "have".

As for operator, I suggest you look at the link mplsray provided.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We do not provide assistance with homework. Please use the explanations provided to work out the answers.

(In addition, quoted material exceeds four sentence limit.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >