Auxiliary Verbs/ Develop

< Previous | Next >

Fabio85

Italian
Hi, I would like to know if I can use the auxiliary verb in this way...I worked in laser company where firstly, I did develop the cutting drawing for the clients and secondly I did the sample of the drawing for the production.

Is it correct?

Many thanks in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Fabio. "I did develop" seems unusual and a little confusing in that sentence. I expect to read "I developed" instead. "I did the sample of the drawing..." seems fine.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, I agree with Owlman here: using the auxiliary "did" puts an unnatural emphasis on the verb. It comes across to me almost as if somebody had suggested that you didn't develop the cutting drawing, and you're saying "I did develop [it]".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Do" is used as an auxiliary verb in a positive statement only for emphasis. I really did develop the cutting drawing, whatever anyone else may have told you.

[cross-posted]

lingobingo

English - England
    I did do something, with auxiliary verb, is normally only used in order to be emphatic or, more typically, to refute a negative question or accusation.

It’s not appropriate in the OP sentence. But neither is the second use of “did”, as a main verb, because a more specific verb (such as “produced”) would be required in so formal a statement.

< Previous | Next >