quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
She's the embodiment of kindness.

I really don't know if I could say "She's the avatar of kindness." But since I saw the word "avatar" used in an icon(I'm not sure if I say it right here--correct me if I am wrong) by Joelling in this forum, I have been eager to know what it means. In my dictionary, "avatar" means "embodiment," and that's why I post this question. Besides, I couldn't find a sample sentence of "avatar."

• HunkiDori

Indonesia/English
    It can mean either.

av·a·tar–noun
    1.Hindu Mythology. the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god. 2.an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life. 3.Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.

Joelline

American English
    In computer terms, an avatar is picture that you adopt to represent as your "graphic identity" in a forum such as this one. For example, your "avatar" is, fittingly, a picture of a dandelion. Another word for "avatar" is "icon" (another word that had, originally, a religious meaning!).

A more formal definition is found HERE: "Among people working on virtual reality and cyberspace interfaces, an avatar is an icon or representation of a user in a shared virtual reality."

When I saw that almost everyone here at WR had adopted an avatar, I thought I'd adopt one, too. But I am so indecisive that I couldn't decide what picture I wanted to use to represent myself to other forer@s, so....

My avatar was supposed to be temporary, but I've never found just the right picture, so it's become permanent.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Joelline, for the explanation, and I know better.
    I adore your icon and avatar--looks like a flying pelican that is going to send good news to people. That's what I got from the graph--correct me if I am wrong again.

Joelline

American English
    Because my avatar is so abstract, it can mean almost anything people want it to mean. I think what people see in my avatar tells me a great deal about them. Your opinion of my avatar tells me that you are a very, very nice person! Thank you!

< Previous | Next >