Avec une évidence qui lui donna la chair de poule

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Petronille, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Petronille Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Hello everyone!

I have found this expression and I am trying to translate it in English. Basically, the context is a romantic one, in which a man realizes he loves the person he's known for so long (could sound cheesy, I know, but that's not the point :p)
    Anyway, my try: with such evidence it gave him/got goose bumps.

I must admit I am not happy with this, for it doesn't sound formal yet the French text is.

Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!

2. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    Can we see the whole sentence, please?

3. Petronille Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Thanks Misterk! So the sentence is: "Assis là, dans ce café, il repensait aux moments passés ensemble, à cette complicité qui avait toujours été, à ses gestes, à son regard parfois réprobateur, mais plus souvent bienveillant, et même tendre. Il la vit alors arriver au coin de la rue et il comprit, avec une évidence qui lui donna la chair de poule."

I hope it can actually help. I don't think this part is actually clear regarding the formal style, but the whole text is. And I feel my proposition is not formal enough... What do you think?

4. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    "...that gave him goose bumps" sounds fine to me. It's a very common expression; the register is not informal or slangy (probably because there is no "fancier" English equivalent).

The only alternative I can think of is "...that made the hair on his arms stand up." The meaning is the same, but you will hear this less frequently than "goose bumps."

5. Petronille Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Ok, then! Thank you very much for your help!