average detective

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A Murder Mystery fun game. Stephen and Ashlie find a corpse lying on the floor. Ashlie, a comic character, who imagines herself to be a Sherlock Holmes, takes out a button from under the bed and says it's a clue. Stephen:
- And that’s a clue?
- Well, Stephen, maybe not for your average detective. But for someone with my powers...
- Your powers?

British Council video

Does she mean "this clue maybe is not for your average detective"? If so, what does "average detective" mean?
Thank you

• Myridon

English - US
    From the Word Reference dictionary on "your":
    2 (used to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or things in a general way): some, any, or one: It's just your average weekday.
    "Detective" is a noun.Your average scientist, Your average banana, ...

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian

Yes, but "weekday" is a noun, while "detective" in the original quote seems to be an adjective...

cross-posted with your correction...

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian

But I don't understand, then... "your average scientist", "your average detective"... "My detective":confused:... it's something different from "your average weekday" (which is clear).

Biffo

English - England
    A Murder Mystery fun game. Stephen and Ashlie find a corpse lying on the floor. Ashlie, a comic character, who imagines herself to be a Sherlock Holmes, takes out a button from under the bed and says it's a clue. Stephen:
    - And that’s a clue?
    - Well, Stephen, maybe not for your average detective. But for someone with my powers...
    - Your powers?

British Council video

Does she mean "this clue maybe is not for your average detective"? If so, what does "average detective" mean?
    Thank you
    "average detective" means a detective who has average abilities.

Here is my translation:

She: This button is a clue.
    He: Are you serious? You think that's a clue?
    She: Well, Stephen, it may not be recognised as a clue by anyone who is only an average detective but it is a clue for me because I have special powers.
    He: What powers are you talking about?

Does that help?

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    There's no "my" there - any, some, one. "Your" has the definition I quoted above, nothing to do with "belonging to you."
    It's just your average weekday. Today is like any other weekday that is not special (not good or bad).

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    - And that’s a clue?
    - Well, Stephen, maybe not for your average detective.
    But for someone with my powers...

Maybe it wouldn't be recognized as a clue by the average detective one (you) might encounter.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Ah, I see in dictionaries:
    In spoken English, a speaker sometimes uses your before an adjective such as `typical' or `normal' to indicate that the thing referred to is a typical example of its type. Stan Reilly is not really one of your typical Brighton Boys... It's just your average wooden door.
    I didn't know of such a meaning of "your".

Thanks to everyone!

< Previous | Next >