Avestan: Etymology of Airiiaman

Artaxerxes I

German, Persian
Hi dear member!

Av. Airiiaman (Sanskr. Aryaman) is an old indoiranian deity of friendship, community and marriage and is often translated in this way. What interest me is the literal meaning of this theonym. I feel that the indoiranian ethonym Av. Airiia/Sanskr. Arya is maybe a part of this Name but i have not found anything on this matter to prove this.

With best regards.

• Flogger20

Persian, Iran
    !هدف از ایجاد این جستار دست کم برای بنده خیلی روشن نیست

اما گمان می کنم واژه آریا تنها در پیوند با طبقه خاصی نبوده بلکه نامی بوده که برای نژاد خاصی به کار می رفته

Artaxerxes I

German, Persian
    These are my findings:
    آریامن:
    1- member of (the) community or tribe
    2- noble-minded

آریا: noble, of good family
    من: mind

آریا
    آریا
    آریا
    من
    آریامن
    Browse through this website, too.

We can still see the morpheme 'من' in دشمن. The Academy of Persian Language and literature has also coined دشواژه: دش + واژه.
    Thank you. But i think that the wordpart man would be manah in the avestan language.

fdb

French (France)
    Paul Thieme, „Der Fremdling im Rigveda. Eine Studie über die Bedeutung der Worte ari, arya, aryaman und arya“ (= AKM 23.2), Leipzig, 1938, argued that Indo-Iranian arya- means „guest“ and aryaman- means „hospitality“. Of course, this is only one of the many theories in circulation.

-man is a suffix for forming nouns. It is not connected with the word for "mind".

For a recent study of the semantics of arya- in Iranian see this: The concept of Iran in Zoroastrian and other traditions

molana

Persian
    -man is a suffix for forming nouns. It is not connected with the word for "mind".
    Thanks fdb. In that case, the suffix ی- in دشمنی is originally redundant. In fact, دش + من means ''badness'' or something along these lines, and by the addition of ی- it would mean ''badnessness''. Right?

It is, so far as I know, the same case for the suffix تر- in ''بهتر'', ''مهتر'' , and ''کهتر'' because the adjectives ''به'' , ''مه'' , and ''که'' are/were themselves comparative, and they are doubly compared by the suffix تر- indeed. In other words, ''بهتر'', ''مهتر'' , and ''کهتر'' would originally mean ''biggerer/olderer'', ''betterer'', and ''smallerer/youngerer''.

Last edited:

fdb

French (France)
    MP duš-men means “whose mind is bad, enemy”, so in this case -men really does mean mind (Avestan mainiiu-). duš-men-īh means “bad-mindedness, enmity”. -īh is an abstract suffix and is not redundant.

< Previous | Next >