Avoid - Antonym

lilison

English - Canadian
On the topic of fatigue risk management, several strategies are suggested, involving light, caffeine, exercise, conversation...

I am looking for the best antonym to "avoid" in this context:

*** light (to stay awake) / avoid light (before sleeping)
*** caffeine (to stay awake) / avoid caffeine (before sleeping)
*** exercise (to stay awake) / avoid exercise (before sleeping)

The best solution I have is "seek out", but I am wondering if there is another option.

NOTE: This is for a software application, it must be one or two words and it is not possible to tailor the sentence.

Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    This is a good question, lilison. Unfortunately, neither I nor Roget's thesaurus can come up with anything better than "seek". Are you sure you need to use "seek out" instead of "seek"? I don't think "seek out" adds anything significant to the meaning.

Considering the word "caffeine", I don't think "seek" makes much sense. "Use caffeine" is my best suggestion for an antonym for "avoid caffeine".

Considering "exercise", I don't think "seek exercise" makes much sense. The simple "exercise" seems more natural and likely to me.

"Seek light", "use caffeine", and "exercise" are the best suggestions I can think of.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    The idea that everything has a clear "opposite" and particularly one that will work in all circumstances is a word game not a practical reality. Exercising is the "opposite" of avoiding exercise. Consuming caffeine is the opposite of avoiding caffeine. The light one is even worse.

lilison

English - Canadian
    turn on light, take caffeine, do exercise

Or, if you must use the same word for all three: use.

I DO need the same formula for all of the strategies.
    Other strategies include high protein meals, high carb meals, sleep and hydration.

ewie

English English
    The idea that everything has a clear "opposite" and particularly one that will work in all circumstances is a word game not a practical reality.
    :thumbsup: The 'opposite' of avoid light/caffeine/exercise is surely don't avoid light/caffeine/exercise.

Myridon

English - US
    :thumbsup: The 'opposite' of avoid light/caffeine/exercise is surely don't avoid light/caffeine/exercise.
    If the opposite of "sour" is "not sour," then is "bland" is the opposite of sour?
    If I'm out of coffee, I won't ingest any caffeine even though I'm not avoiding it.

ewie

English English
    If the opposite of "sour" is "not sour," then is "bland" is the opposite of sour?
    If I'm out of coffee, I won't ingest any caffeine even though I'm not avoiding it.
    Also: if (by whatever formula) you tell people not to avoid caffeine, does that give them carte blanche to go out and drink 58 cups of coffee a day?
    The whole thing strikes me as a potential nightmare of litigation:D

lilison

English - Canadian
    This is still not quite right. The application is advising someone who has to work in a state of fatigue. So, it is not "don't avoid coffee", but rather "have a cup of coffee!"

Thank you everyone for your input. I have suggested to remove the verb altogether in the positive form. We'll see what is decided.

< Previous | Next >