avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism" mean "avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and undertreatment or no treatment"?

<..............> the Hippocratic Oath <..........> was rewritten in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, the prayer was omitted, and that version has been widely accepted and is still in use today by many US medical schools:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

-Wikipedia

Source

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Does "avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism" mean "avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and undertreatment or no treatment"?
    <..............> the Hippocratic Oath <..........> was rewritten in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, the prayer was omitted, and that version has been widely accepted and is still in use today by many US medical schools:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

-Wikipedia

Source
    Therapeutic nihilism is a contention that it is impossible to cure people or societies of their ills through treatment.

The link takes you to that statement, so

< Previous | Next >