avoir du sommeil en retard

melinou

French - a little bit English
Hi,

how we can say in english for "avoir du sommeil en retard" or "avoir du sommeil à rattraper"

is it correct if I say " to have sleep to late" ? or do you use another expression ?

thanks a lot

• unefemme1

English, New Zealand
    If it is in the past, or if I'm recounting what happened that morning/last night and I'm talking about me sleeping late, then I'd say "I slept until late this morning" or "I slept late last night". Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Avoir du sommeil en retard means not having slept enough in the recent past. It has no connection with having slept late this morning.

I would say "I have to catch up on my sleep" or "I have sleep to catch up on" (the latter is far from elegant).

melinou

French - a little bit English
    If it is in the past, or if I'm recounting what happened that morning/last night and I'm talking about me sleeping late, then I'd say "I slept until late this morning" or "I slept late last night". Is that what you mean?
    humm, I meant rather "I'm going to bed early tonight because I have sleep to catch up on" (to take the SwissPete's expression)

if my sentence is right I thank you both, it was exactly what I wanted to know ;-)

< Previous | Next >