avoir la libre disposition et la pleine jouissance

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Kelimutu, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Kelimutu

Kelimutu Senior Member

Dieulefit, Drôme
    English GB
    I am totally stumped by the meaning of this phrase, which is in a holiday letting agreement.

Le Bailleur déclare être propriétaire du logement et en avoir la libre disposition et la pleine jouissance durant la période de location définie dans les présentes.

This is how I have translated it:

The Lessor declares that he/she is the owner of the property and may use it for any purpose he/she sees fit and have full enjoyment of it during the rental period specified in this agreement.

But it doesn't make sense, because how can the lessor (landlord) have full enjoyment of a property they are renting to the holiday makers? Am I missing something here?
    :confused:

2. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    The landlord is effectively licencing his "rights to use" the property - this is basically declaring that the landlord holds full (ie exclusive) rights, which is important, because you don't want to turn up and discover that someone else also enjoys some rights to the property (somebody renting a room for example).

3. Kelimutu

Kelimutu Senior Member

Dieulefit, Drôme
    English GB
    Ok, that makes sense, thanks :)