1. nathnath Member

french
    Bonsoir,

Je cherche à traduire l'expression suivante : "avoir les crocs". Expression quelque peu familière que l'on utilise lorsque l'on commence à avoir vraiment faim.

Merci à toutes et tous.

2. Pauvre_khagneuse

Pauvre_khagneuse Senior Member

Dijon, France
    France
    I'm starving. Is that correct?

3. amanda77 Member

English Ireland
    Sounds good to me, not very familiar though, it depends on whether or not you have to respect the "registre" of the text

4. Manwell Member

Paris
    French
    Salut,

J'ai entendu dire "I have the munchies" qui je pense signifie avoir les crocs. reste à valider.

5. rosalind Senior Member

Tokai, Japan
    USA, American English
    Perhaps:

"I have/ I've got the munchies" -- very informal, but it indicates light hunger more than extreme hunger.

"I could eat a horse" -- informal, and denotes that one is very hungry. However, it's not up-to-the-minute slang (i.e. a teenager probably wouldn't say it.)

"My stomach's rumbling" -- means you're hungry. Informal, but not exactly slang.

6. Le Bélier

Le Bélier Senior Member

USA
    English/USA
    Je suis d'accord avec cette tradu, au moins c'est ça aux EU.

7. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

I have the munchies to me means you are hungry for a little snack (actually was first used in the 1970s when people "got the munchies" from smoking dope!)

since you said l'on utilise lorsque l'on commence à avoir vraiment faim, I would suggest something "hungrier"

I'm starving
    I'm so hungry I could eat a horse

8. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    hungry like a wolf ?

9. nathnath Member

french
    I choose "I could eat a horse".

Regarding "I have the munchies", it sounds very cute.

Thank you for your help and explanations.

10. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    No, I don't think so. At least, I've never heard anybody say that.

I HAVE heard the Duran Duran song, but that's hungry like THE wolf and the singer isn't hungry for food!

11. rosalind Senior Member

Tokai, Japan
    USA, American English
    True enough! :)

However, I do think that "I'm [as] hungry as a wolf" is quite acceptable, although you don't hear it very often these days.

A Google-check, by way of comparison, shows 1,960 hits for "hungry as a wolf." (That's as opposed to 36,400 for "could eat a horse.")

Another way of putting it, of course, is: "I'm ravenous." This has essentially the same connotations as "I'm starving" or "I'm famished," but to my ear sounds considerably more wolf-like. :)