France ; french language
Salut à tous.

Je cherche à traduire au mieux dans la signification la tournure suivante :

"avoir les hommes à ses pieds" : "?"

merci d'avance
thanks ahead in time

• OlivierG

France / Français
    Well, maybe an explanation about what it means in French could help English speakers.
    (about a woman) : "avoir les hommes à ses pieds" means she is so attractive that any man would do anything she wants.
    Any idea? (about the translation, not about what she could want ;))

banja

France ; french language
    Well OlivierG is right ; I've should have mentioned about these words' meaning.
    Generally speaking, avoir les hommes à ses pieds means to dominate over people, to make people obey one's will without arguing.
    The foresaid example with a woman is too much connoted, I'd like to know an english figure of language which illustrates it more straightly.

fetchezlavache

france
    no, it doesn't mean that the people obey. olivierg's definition is correct, it defines only a woman who is so attractive that many men woo her and try to please her as much as they can... it has got nothing to do with
    to dominate over people, to make people obey one's will without arguing
    now, avoir le monde à ses pieds is slightly different, it refers slightly more to a position of power.

i'd be pleased, banja, if you provided us with a french idiom that you would need translating, because i fail to see what you need. obviously, tabac's suggestion of
    To be in control? To lead? To be an example?
    didn't suit you either ?

:)

Tobycek

England, English
    I think the best English equivalent would be "to have men eating out of her hand".
    Different part of the body but the same idea... :)

banja

France ; french language
    Tobycek said:
    I think the best English equivalent would be "to have men eating out of her hand".
    Different part of the body but the same idea... :)
    Hey you hit the nail ! :thumbsup:
    Exception to "her" (I've never meant about a female subject) so I go for "to have men eating out one's hand"

Eyedol

France, French
    Hey you hit the nail ! :thumbsup:
    Exception to "her" (I've never meant about a female subject) so I go for "to have men eating out one's hand"
    A little late but... I have to confirm Tobycek's answer.
    When you say someone "a tous les hommes à ses pieds", you really mean a woman.
    You wouldn't say that "Gérard a les hommes à ses pieds". It'd be really really awkward, and by that, I'm not being homophobic. :)

Therefore "To have men eating out of her hand" seems more appropriate to me. I don't think either that this idiom can be used to describe a man.

< Previous | Next >