avoir un ticket/faire une touche

Clairedx

Suisse, Français
Does anybody have a translation of these two expressions:
Avoir un ticket
Faire une touche?

• Aupick

UK, English
    If I've understood the French correctly, for 'faire une touche' people say 'to score', which seems to draw from the same field as the French. In BE people also say 'to get off with someone'.

Still thinking about the other.

E-J

England, English
    I can't judge how familiar these phrases are in French, but equivalents in very colloquial English (used among friends) would be:

avoir un ticket (avec quelqu'un) = to be in there

>> "She can't take her eyes off you. I think you're in there!" (stress/intonation are important in conveying this meaning. The stress goes on the word 'in')

faire une touche = to pull (someone)

>> "Yes, she's coming over here! I think you've pulled!"

Benjy

English - English
    nice one ej :) i still kind of prefer score over pull, just because of the sporting link. pull is still aperfectly good translation. not that you need my seal of approval or anything haha.

but i love you're in there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

E-J

England, English
    NicO- said:
    Est-ce qu'on pourrait pas dire:

"To get a crush on someone" ?

:confused:
    Bonjour Nic. Have a crush on someone = avoir le bégin pour quelqu'un, et là, le sentiment n'est pas forcément réciproque. Avec 'avoir un ticket' on a des chances de séduire, et avec 'faire une touche' ca y est, on a réussi! :)

Kelly B

USA English
    In American English, to score is to succeed in one's ambition to have sex with someone; "to hit it off" and "to click with" both mean to establish a good rapport, usually at the first meeting. I'm not familiar with "pull".

NicO-

Belgium, French
    Quand tu dis que tu as une touche, le sentiment est pas forcement réciproque ... Du moins, dans mon interprétation. Si je dis à un copain qu'il a une touche avec ma soeur (je n'ai pas de soeur ;)), ca ne veut pas dire que lui est intéressé.

On pourrait donc prendre l'autre sens en disant : "She's got a crush on him".

Nope ?

E-J

England, English
    Hello grive ... that's just it, I think 'avoir une touche' implies that it's the other person who has a thing for YOU, not you who has a thing for that other person ... Hmmm, are 'avoir une touche' and 'faire une touche' synonymous?

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi E-J,

So-- Il a une touche avec ma soeur = She has a crush on him/a thing for him.

It would be nice if avoir un ticket and faire une touche were synonymous :rolleyes: but I have a feeling from what others have said that they're not. :p

charlie2 said:
    Can we "have a thing for" something, too?
    Hi charlie,

Absolutely.:) Words, films, words, hiking, words...:D

E-J

England, English
    la grive solitaire said:
    It would be nice if avoir un ticket and faire une touche were synonymous :rolleyes: but I have a feeling from what others have said that they're not. :p
    Yes, I realise they're not the same - that wasn't my question :) It's just that in this thread we have been using 'avoir une touche' one minute and 'faire une touche' the next. I just wanted to verify that changing the verb isn't changing the meaning.

Cheers,
    E-J

Cath.S.

français de France
    E-J said:
    Bonjour Nic. Have a crush on someone = avoir le bégin pour quelqu'un, et là, le sentiment n'est pas forcément réciproque. Avec 'avoir un ticket' on a des chances de séduire, et avec 'faire une touche' ca y est, on a réussi! :)
    Pour moi (et pour le dictionnaire cité par La Grive), ces deux expressions sont interchangeables.

< Previous | Next >