Avuto/Abbia

< Previous | Next >

AmeliaB2005

English United States
I am a real beginner here.

I am trying to translate the following in past tense:

Ha i cappelli rossi (or rosso?) come se qualcuno li abbia (avuto?) illuminati su fuoco.

Is it "avuto" or "abbia"? How do you use either??

"She had red hair as if someone had lit it on fire."

"also out of curiosity: What does fosso/fossi mean?"

Thanks

• Kaia

Argentina -Spanish
    AmeliaB2005 said:

Ha i cappelli rossi (or rosso?) come se qualcuno li abbia (avuto?) illuminati su fuoco.

Thanks

She has red hair as if someone had illuminated it over the fire.

Abbia > subjunctive form of "avvere"

Avuto > past tense of "avvere"

Ho avuto un grande problema con la mia macchina = I've had a big problem with my car

Fosse = subjunctive of "essere" for "io" (I)>> Se io fosse grassa farèi una dieta (If I were fat I'd go on a diet)

Fossi= subjunctive of "essere" for "tu"(you)>> Se tu fossi mio marito viaggerei in Italia (If you were my husband I'd travel to Italy)

Fosso > I think this is a mistake...Not sure, could you please give us the sentence where this word is used? :)

AmeliaB2005

English United States
    Grazie per l'auito!

I got the word "Fosso" from the wordreference dict. I assumed it meant the same as "fossi" in a different context, but it actually means "ditch/or pitt."

I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure I understand the difference between "avuto" and "abbia" (what is a subjunctive form?) Which one of the two forms is proper for the sentence I provided?

"Lei ha i cappelli rosso come se qualcuno li abbia(avuto) illuminati (or prenduto) su fuoco."

My main concern is to say that: she had red hair as if someone had lit it on fire.

Grazie ancora

Alfry

Italian
    AmeliaB2005 said:

Thanks
    ha i capelli rossi come se qualcuno li avesse illuminati con la luce del fuoco...
    actually illuminati con la luce del fuoco sounds a bit awkward.

ha i capelli rossi come se fossero illuminati dalla luce del fuoco is another way to say it

AmeliaB2005

English United States
    I am still not being helped with the question I am asking regarding the original sentence: My question is in regards to the use of "abbia" and "avuto." Please regard the original sentence only. I am trying to say that SHE HAS RED HAIR AS IF SOMEONE HAD LIT IT ON FIRE." That sentence alone, please help to translate it.

Please correct my use of the preposition su: is it sul or su? If I were to use the word prendere, would it be "...come se qualcuno li abbia (avuto) prenduto sul fuoco?"

Mi dispiace per tutte le domande, sono principiante e bisogno molto auito.

AmeliaB2005

English United States
    So it is not avuto or abbia?? Is it avesse?? I am now VERY confused. (disregard my last post on prepositions I just want to focus on avuto and abbia)

Alfry

Italian
    if you are trying to translate this

then it is .... as if someone had lit "li avesse (capelli is plural)" ...

avuto is the past participle
    abbia is as if I had said "as if someone have lit " and that wouldn't be correct

had lit needs avesse

come se io avessi, tu avessi, lui/lei avesse, noi avessimo, voi aveste, essi avessero

AmeliaB2005

English United States
    AHA!! Now I get it. Okay, now were getting somewhere!

Okay, one last question if you don't mind: can prendere be used in this context (to catch on fire)? Can I say "Lei ha i cappelli rossi come se qualcuno li avesse prenduto su fuoco." Am I using the correct preposition su/sul or does it have no sul/su? And am I using the right conjugation for past tense of prendere?

"She had red hair as if someone HAD lit it ON fire" I'm seeking the past tense of prendere and the correct preposition for ON fire.

Alfry

Italian
    you can say
    lei ha i capelli rossi come se qualcuno avesse fatto prendere loro fuoco
    or
    ... come se avessero preso fuoco
    ... come se qualcuno glieli avesse incendiati ( messi sul fuoco)

as if someone had lit it on fire

Kaia

Argentina -Spanish
    Voglio ringraziare Alfry ed Amelia perche ho imparato molto in questo thread, sul'uso di "abbia" "avesse" "avuto".

< Previous | Next >