avv. (abbreviazione di avvocato)

< Previous | Next >


Italy- Italian
Do you know if the abbreviation of "lawyer" exists in English? Or is it just something Italian? :confused:
I need to translate Avv. XXX (avv. = avvocato).
I looked for it in the web...but nothing!

Thanks in advance,
  • Memimao

    Senior Member
    United Kingdom English
    I always leave it at avv. (same with Rag., Ing. etc. etc.) English doesn't go in for titles the same way Italian does and so nothing can really translate them.

    Esq. was current in the UK when I started out in an insurance office (35 years ago:eek:) to indicate a male adressee not called Dr. or Rev. but I understand it has very much fallen by the wayside today


    Senior Member
    Esq. is still fairly used in AE, but only in an address, when you write to a lawyer:
    John Doe, Esq.
    (as opposed to Mr. John Doe)
    The you start the letter with : Dear Sir, or Dear Mr. Doe. Titles are not normally used (in the case of law professionals at least).


    Senior Member
    Ciao a tutti,

    In fondo ad una lettera che ho tradotto da parte di un avvocato, c'è "Avv." e poi il nome.
    Non sono sicura come posso metterlo in inglese: Mario Rossi, Solicitor? Mario Rossi, Lawyer?
    La lettera andra' in Irlanda, quandi sarebbe meglio BE, credo.

    Ho provato a leggere i vari threads per questo termine, mi sembrava che nulla facesse a questo caso.

    Grazie del vostro aiuto.


    Senior Member
    Italian from Italy
    Ciao IsaInToscana!

    Su molte lettere di legali inglesi ho visto scritto "Atty. Nome e cognome".

    "Atty." sta per "Attorney", però penso che sia un'abbreviazione AE e non BR.




    Senior Member
    Ciao Benzene,

    Grazie mille per il suggerimento. In fatti, pensavo di usare "Attorney" abbreviato, ma poi ho pensato che sarebbe meglio il titolo in BE, che sarebbe Solicitor oppure Barrister. Non conosco l'abbreviazione e non so se si puo' mettere davanti al nome, come si fa in italiano.
    Aspetto fiduciosa una risposta da un native speaker:) e ti ringrazio ancora.


    Senior Member
    IO invece ho visto solo il nome, seguito dalla firma e poi sotto le iniziali/lawyer, tipo:

    Antonio Rossi

    (spazio per firma)


    ...let's wait english people's opinion !! :)


    English - United States
    This is an old thread, but I thought I would add input anyway.

    I have seen Esq. before, written like so: "John Doe, Esq." though I think it is sort of an old term. I have also seen Atty. as in "Atty. John Doe" and I think that is more contemporary.

    Either works but I would go with Atty.


    Senior Member
    Thread vecchio ma argomento sempre attuale!

    Alla fine di una lettera di messa in mora, trovo "Avv. Mario Rossi". La lettera è destinata all'Inghilterra. Posso scrivere "Mario Rossi, Atty." o non si usa in British English?


    Senior Member
    How to Address a Letter to an Attorney
    "Style Basics for Letters and Post
    Date the letter at the top, either left justified or centered. Below the date on the left, place the attorney's full name followed by a comma and the term "Esq." – which stands for the attorney's title – in the center of the front of the envelope. For example, write "Robert Smith, Esq." Below the attorney's name, write the name of his firm on one line and the complete mailing address on subsequent lines. Use this same address and name styling for your envelope".
    Lawyer or Attorney
    "How Do I Use "Esquire" With My Name,
    Or An Attorney's Name, in Writing?

    I am not sure if I should write my name followed by
    Esq., J.D.
    or Esq., Dr.
    or Dr., Esq.
    or just Esq.
    or J.D.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    -- Kenneth Millard

    I am an attorney and I do not use Esq. following my surname. Although I am a practicing attorney, it strikes me that to insert the Esq. would project a self-importance I do not feel. What's the traditional way to use Esq.?
    -- Robert Simpson

    Dear Mr. Millard:
    In the much of the U.S.'s public's mind Esq. is used after a name to identify a lawyer in exactly the same way M.D. after a name identifies a doctor. But in fact they are not equivalent.
    The traditional use of Esq. is in the U.S.A. is for others to add it to the attorney's name when writing to a practicing attorney (e.g., on a letter) to note/specify that the attorney is being addressed in his or her role as counsel in litigation / as professional representation in a legal matter. E.g.:
    Kenneth Millard, Esq.
    Use of Esq. is important among the ethics rules of the legal profession which require communications from an attorney (on one side) be with the opposing side's attorney rather than directly with the opposing side. By addressing the other side's attorney as Esq., the person initiating the communication is being clear that he or she is following correct procedure.
    However, traditionally Esq. is not used reflexively ... that is, one does not call oneself an Esq. when presenting one's name on one's own letterhead or business card. Thus on a business card or letterhead names of the principals, partners, associates, are be presented without post nominals:
    Kenneth Millard
    Attorney at Law
    J.D. is most often used in academic contexts. If you are the author of a article that's published in an academic journal or teach at a university and are listed in the catalog, then using your specific academic degree is pertinent and traditional:
    Kenneth Millard, J.D.
    And finally:
    Esq. and J.D. are not used in combination.
    I'd say that it is very, very, very rare for a person holding a J.D. to want to be addressed as Dr. (name).
    Dr. is not used after an attorney's name in any circumstance.
    -- Robert Hickey".
    < Previous | Next >