avvertire = to advise

• Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    You must give us the specific sentence in a context that you're trying to translate, not ask us to provide examples (you can find in dictionaries) :)
    I don't have a specific sentence because I have never seen that meaning of "avvertire", only "to inform", "to warn" and "to perceive/feel". Treccani seems to agree. I have added the link to the definition of "avvertire" in Treccani to the original post.

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    I am frustrated that I haven't got any answers for this, given that one of the main goals of the WR forums is to discuss the definitions and examples in the WR Italian-English/English-Italian dictionaries. I think it may be related to the odd fact that I cannot find my post in the list of posts in this forum.

I'll share the answer I have found to my question. "avvertire" indeed has only the meanings I mentioned before: "to inform", "to warn" and "to perceive/feel". The tricky thing is that "to advise" can mean "to give someone official information about something", according to the Cambridge dictionary. Anyway, as this is a very unusual meaning of "to advise", it should not be provided as one of the main translations of "avvertire", especially before "to inform", which is a much more usual word in English to express that meaning of "avvertire". I have reported it.

In case someone is interested, I got the answer to my question here: Could "avvertire" mean "to advise"?

Last edited:

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    Maybe because you didn't provide any sentence or context as required by the forum rules?
    I explained clearly why I haven't provided any examples before and the WR definition I provided has several examples of "avvertire". Anyway, I don't think that was the reason I got no answer because any Italian native speaker could answer this rather easily, even without examples. Never mind that.

< Previous | Next >