1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice
  1. letterabrea Senior Member

zaragoza - spain
    Spanish-spain
    Hola a todos.

¿Podríais ayudarme con estas tres palabras, por favor?

Se está describiendo cómo eran los cultos del domingo por la noche. Aporto texto:

It was a whole another deal when the pastor wore his casual khakis and no tie. Having taken those liberties, we
    were one emotional outburst away from clapping.

¿El "away" va con outburst o quiere decir "lejos de dar palmas con las manos"?

Gracias por vuestra ayuda.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    No estoy segura, pero quizás signifique que con solo uno estallido más de emoción, acabarían todos aplaudiendo.

3. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    The correct grammar is "a whole other xxx," but in speech we often say "a whole 'nother xxx." Never "a whole another."

We have a set construction of "to be one xxx away from yyy," which means, as Bevj guesses (is this not common in BrEn?), "to be very close to yyy."

Ex.
    -I was so furious at his disrespectful language that I was one derogatory comment away from punching him.

-His nerves were so on edge that he was one problem away from a mental breakdown.

In your context, the writer is saying that on Sunday nights the atmosphere was more casual than in church on Sunday mornings, when the pastor wore a suit and tie and nobody ever clapped for anything (that's how it was at the church I attended as a child). It seems that even on Sunday nights, clapping was frowned upon, but the mood was so casual that they were on the brink of clapping.

4. machokrap Senior Member

UK
    Spanish (Venezuela, Chile)
    Lo que dijo Bevj.:)
    La idea es que estuvieron así de cerca (o a punto) de estallar emocionalmente, "a un paso de".
    En este caso "away" se refiere a (poca) distancia/separación, no lejanía en si.