away from - off - outside - out of

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Sirila, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Sirila Member

Spain - Spanish
    Hola,

¿Cómo traduciríais la siguiente frase?:

- We came away from the theatre/house/bus stop

Parece sencilla pero no termino de pillarle el sentido; salimos de, nos alejamos de, llegamos de, venimos de...

Y otra duda acerca preposiciones:

'A place off the map' es lo mismo que 'a place outside/out of the map'? ¿Es un lugar que no existe o es un lugar que no está en el mapa que yo p.ej. tengo delante de mi?

Muchas gracias!

2. mhp Senior Member

American English
    In different contexts, “come away” could have different meanings. But in the sense that you are using it it means "salir de"

A place "off the map" depends on the context. If you are talking about a physical map, then it is simple a place outside the map. But this is more often used figuratively to mean a place that has nothing of importance or interest, or perhaps a place that is very far away.

3. Sirila Member

Spain - Spanish
    Thanks a lot mhp!

Does 'came away from' then mean the same as 'went out of / left'?

4. mhp Senior Member

American English
    In certain contexts, yes it means to leave or to depart. It could also be used in a figurative sense, “I came away with the impression that” (me quedé con la impresión de que...) But it could have a lot of different meanings in other contexts.

5. Sirila Member

Spain - Spanish
    Ok. Thank you.

6. Mirandante New Member

españa, castellano
    How could I say: Seguir un sueño fuera de casa. Following a dream outside home, or maybe away from home?

7. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Given your two options, I opt for the second one. It is difficult to make sense of your first option.