Awkward - Clumsy - Clunky - Gauche - Goofy

< Previous | Next >

cicciosa

Italian
Hello everyone,
here a list of adjectives with the "same" meaning (I guess)

awkward - clumsy - clunky - gauche - goofy - etc....

I am looking for the right one to use in a positive meaning. I want to describe a person who is awkward - clumsy - clunky - gauche - goofy - etc.... but nice :)

Thanks,
cicciosa

• spirals

English - England
    Goofy isn't too bad and could be used affectionately. It sounds a bit American though.

Brits aren't typically good at talking about this sort of thing so I suppose we don't have that many common words for it :)

JamesM

"Ungainly" is the mildest term I can think of, but none of them are positive. Some terms that are sometimes used endearingly are "he has two left feet" and "he's all thumbs". One way to refer to it and keep it gentle is to negate the positive trait: he's not exactly graceful but he's a wonderful person.

ewie

English English
    There's the rather fancy-frenchy maladroit ~ you could always use that and hope that the person you're addressing thinks it's positive:)

Loob

English UK
    And there's "coltish", which is quite positive - or at least friendly...

Could you tell us more about the way in which your friend is awkward - clumsy - clunky - gauche - goofy, cicciosa?

johndot

English - England
    Of course, you could go the whole hog and then add a disclaimer:

“Meet my friend; he’s a walking disaster area, but...”

cicciosa

Italian
    Thanks everyone!
    More context: I want to ask a friend to come with me to a dance course. Well, he cannot dance very well :) but since he is rather XXXXX, there will be more fun :)

cicciosa

ewie

English English
    Ah in that case, Cicciosa, JamesM has already given the perfect term:
    He has two left feet so it should be even more fun:)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I think that "ungainly" gets the message across without sounding quite as harsh as some other synonyms. It sort of puts me in mind of Loob's "coltish". Rather all legs and neck and trying desperately to put it all together.:)

< Previous | Next >