axes of a discussion/thrusts of a discussion?

lordess

arabic
Hello,

When speaking about the diffrent subjects tackled by two leaders during an official visit, do we call it axes or thrusts of a discussion or neither of them is used .

Thanks in advance for your answers

• Burgundy Miss

English (West coast American)
    Good day. "Axes" would mean the directions or main lines that their discussion would take. I don't really see what the word "thrusts" would suggest in this context. A "thrust" is a physical effort inteded to push an object forward. It can be used as a verb : He thrust his fist forward. It can also be used as a noun : We could feel the thrust of the wind as the storm approached. Let's see what others say?

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    I would not use either of those words like that, but I would understand if either was used by someone else. Usually, I would refer to "the main topics", "the main points", "the highlights", or even "the gist."

PlainandTall

English- American
    I would say axes is never used in english for this idea, focus would be the word.

Thrust is sometimes used in English, but the thrust of a discussion- (angle is another word sometimes used) is not the topic discussed- It is the underlying intention that develops from the speaker's way of presenting the idea. So world leaders don't discuss a thrust... political pundits do.

"focus of the meeting"
    "purpose for the visit"

PlainandTall

English- American
    Lordess- I'm sorry- it's me again. I offered you alternatives that were not for multiple topics. In official and business meetings with several things to do or discuss- we speak of the agenda (list of things to cover)

"Thank you for coming to the meeting, we have a lot on the agenda so I am going to try to move this along smoothly."

lordess

arabic
    thanks for all those who answered me, I will not certainly use axes but I'll opt for points. A agenda seems to be the whole programme of a leader: his speech, meetings,...what do you think?

sdgraham

USA English
    I think I understand your problem because we often say that a discussion "revolves around" something.

By definition, an axis is the point around which something revolves - but as the previous posters have pointed out, we don't use it that way.

You use "subjects" in your post ... and I think that works just fine.

< Previous | Next >