Azeri: Teimour Radjabov

KnightMove

German/Austria
The Azeri chess player Teymur Räcäbov is in the western world usually transcribed as "Teimour Radjabov".

But which language does this transcribition represent? The -ou- and -dj- seem to be French, but the a's are English.

• foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    The Azeri chess player Teymur Räcäbov is in the western world usually transcribed as "Teimour Radjabov".

But which language does this transcribition represent? The -ou- and -dj- seem to be French, but the a's are English.
    The -dj looks French to me too, but you'd have to know what the /c/ sounds like in Azeri (Farsi?). If it were Turkish, I think the French /dj/ is an exact transliteration.

Whoa! The atmosphere is getting thin all of a sudden-- are we off topic here or what?

Brioche

Australia English

I have seen USSR passports with the Cyrillic transliterated using a French system.

Теймур Раджабов would be transliterated into French as Teïmour Radjabov

< Previous | Next >