Aztán minden itt!

ausermilar

Portuguese
Hello!

in some situations of surprise or annoyance, some people that I know use this expression (that I hope to write correctly).

My direct translation would be: "Really, everything is here" and I undersatand something like "and now we reached the limit", "that's enough now" but...

What is the real meaning of this expression?

Thanks.

• Torontal

Hungarian
    I think you could mishear it, maybe they said "Azt a mindenit!" its English equivalent would be "damn!", "the hell!" exclamation words.
    Related Hungarian expressions are "A mindenit!" "A mindenségit" or "mindenségét!" and longer versions of it, like "A kutya mindenit!".
    I don't know the exact origin of it, they could originally be some euphemistic expressions of swearing, cursing. Maybe originally the "mindenit" (its every part) was the substitution of a vulgar word for a body organ (like faszát, picsáját....).

Last edited:

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Torontal, congratulations for finding the right expression: A(zt a) mindenit! (Also A(zt a) mindenségit!)
    ... Maybe originally the "mindenit" (its every part) was the substitution of a vulgar word for a body organ (like faszát, picsáját....).
    I don't think it was really as vulgar as that, just enough for the era. According to this article, it could refer to god which (in previous times) was forbidden to be used in such "useless" and blasphemical way.

Torontal

Hungarian
    Torontal, congratulations for finding the right expression: A(zt a) mindenit! (Also A(zt a) mindenségit!)

I don't think it was really as vulgar as that, just enough for the era. According to this article, it could refer to god which (in previous times) was forbidden to be used in such "useless" and blasphemical way.
    I also had to think about it for days until today I read it out loudly, and only then came to my mind the right solution :))

Thanks for the link and the correction, so it could be a shortening of „A mindenségit!” (= „A mindenség urát!”) > „Azt a mindenségit!”

I was originally thinking more along the line of "A kutya mindenit" so i assumed the original expression was an euphemism for some of the kutya's (or other being's) possessed objects :))

(Btw based on the limited literary evidences I encountered, the average János of the 17th century could also have a quite dirty mouth, many of the common vulgar swear words that we use today were already well alive back then, but it is also true you could get into serious legal trouble for vulgar and blasphemous expressions if tired by the town authorities, hence the use of euphemisms).

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I think we should add that today it is not only not vulgar but a rather mild, totally acceptable, current, even a bit popular (as opposed to elite) expression.
    An exclamation of surprise.

Next >