bénéficier à la fois de X et de Y

< Previous | Next >

eclypse

UK
english
Please could someone comment on my version. I am not entirely sure of having fully understood the original phrase, which (to me, at least ;) ) seems quite strangely strung together:

Le régime du droit d'auteur bénéficie en France à la fois de traditions remontant à l'époque classique et d'une réelle stabilité, avec des modifications relativement rares.

The origins of the French authors’ rights can be traced back to the classical period, and benefit / enjoy real stability with relatively few modifications.

Thank you in Advance

• eclypse

UK
    english
    or how about:

The origins of (the) French authors’ rights can be traced back to the classical period, whilst benefitting / enjoying / experiencing real stability with relatively few modifications.

in order to compensate for the "à la fois" ?

Archilocus

France (français)
    it is more
    "French authors' rights come both from traditions traced back to the classical period and from real stability, with relatively few modifications".

Hope this is correct english, at least u'll get the idea

eclypse

UK
    english
    Thank you for your suggestion Archiocus,

I understand, that you prefere translating the "á la fois" by "both .. and ...", however my original version was very close to yours, but I wasn't convinced that it made much sense (or at least, not any more than the French version which seems quite odd to me).

I suppose that for me, the difficulty lies in understanding what is meant by:

"French authors' rights come from real stability, with relatively few modifications". (as per your version for instance)

Do you get whether this "real stability" is at the same or at a later time than the "classical period" mentioned?

And again, thank you for your input !

Archilocus

France (français)
    i understand what you mean.
    actually it is more "benefits from a real stability"
    I believe "real stability" and "with relatively few modifications", both in french and in english, are simply two ways to saying the same. Then it is stability over time...

eclypse

UK
    english
    Ok, so the following sentence sounds a little clumsy and abrupt, but with "real stability, subjected to relatively few changes", it sounds like it is the stability that has few changes, so tell me what you think:

French authors' rights stem both from traditions traced back to the classical period and, with relatively few changes, real stability.

Thank you

Archilocus

France (français)
    it's indeed clumsy, but your english is better than mine ;)

i guess i would simply say
    French authors' rights stem from traditions traced back to the classical period, [traditions] which experienced relatively few changes since then.

because modifications could also refer to traditions...

eclypse

UK
    english
    ah i had never thought of that, but makes perfect sense. I will play around with it for a while, and let you know.

Thank you for your help

< Previous | Next >