Bénéficier / be on

alexa99

france
Hi,

I found in the Wordreference dictionnary that "be on" could be an appropriate translation for " "bénéficier " in its " receive money" sense.
I really do not know how to handle " be on " that I have never heard of before.

" Pouvez vous m'envoyer une copie de vos feuilles de paye montrant le bonus dont vous avez bénéficié cette année "

" Could you send me copy of your payslips showing the bonus that you have received this year " would suffice, I think.

But how could you say that with " be on " ?

tHANkS

• mungolina

UK, English
    You could say 'the bonus that you were on this year'

Although in this instance, the phrase you are translating is formal, and it would be more correct to say 'the bonus that you received this year'.

However, you would 'be on' social security, 'be on' the dole, etc

alexa99

france
    You could say 'the bonus that you were on this year'

Although in this instance, the phrase you are translating is formal, and it would be more correct to say 'the bonus that you received this year'.

However, you would 'be on' social security, 'be on' the dole, etc
    Thank you mungolina,

I think I understand.

mungolina

UK, English
    It is a relatively informal way of talking. You can use it for 'how much do you earn', too - 'how much are you on'; or 'what are you on', as long as the context is right.

But for government benefits, people always say 'I'm on the dole' or 'He's on the social'

alexa99

france
    It is a relatively informal way of talking. You can use it for 'how much do you earn', too - 'how much are you on'; or 'what are you on', as long as the context is right.

But for government benefits, people always say 'I'm on the dole' or 'He's on the social'
    That's clear ! Thank you very much

< Previous | Next >