Bénéficier de la sécurité de l'emploi

Kyo

French France
Hello,

how do you translate "bénéficier de la sécurité de l'emploi" please ? Is it "to benefit from job security" ? Thanks a lot in advance.

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    It would depend on what the complete sentence says. Normally, I'd go with "to enjoy job security", but it depends on the context, as always.

Kyo

French France
    The context would be : Je suis fonctionnaire donc je bénéficie de la sécurité de l'emploi. I don't think "enjoy" might work here...

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    I think "enjoy" would work quite well here. My dictionary give "aimer" and "jouir de" as the two principal meanings of "enjoy".

Kyo

French France
    oh I see... and how about "bénéficier" as "tirer avantage de (quelque chose) ?" do you think "enjoy" works in this sense ?

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    You'd have to give me a specific example.

E.g., you could say, "I benefitted from his generosity", meaning that he gave me something or did something for me. But "I enjoyed his generosity" wouldn't mean the same thing. I think that would mean, "his generosity pleased me"--but it doesn't necessarily mean he did anything for me. He might have done something for someone else, but it made me happy to see that.

The difference between the two isn't a huge one.

"I enjoy considerable job security", for me means that I have job security and I'm glad to have it. (Why? Because there are benefits--e.g., I'm not likely to get sacked.)
    "I benefit from job security" strikes me as a bit odd, because it sounds like you're going tell us what those benefits are, when we all already know what they are.

But as I say, I don't think there's a huge difference here, and maybe I'm splitting hairs. I prefer "enjoy" in your sentence above, but I think you could get away with "benefit from".

< Previous | Next >