bénéficier d'une technique

kitty like a cat

USA English
The sentence in French is:
Trois patients ont pu bénéficier de cette technique compte tenu du caractère très particulier de leur pathologie hémorroïdaire.

Three patients underwent this technique given/due to/because of the specific nature of their hemorrhoidal disease.

For me "to benefit from" or "take advantage of" is more like "profiter de" which would not apply to this situation (to take advantage of someone or something =often said of someone who has opportunities that others do not have: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+advantage).
Any ideas on other translations.
Also "compte tenu du caractère" was a little tricky for me and I'm not sure about "given".
For context: three patients with a specific kind of hemorrhoidal pathology underwent this special new technique. I think there were so few because the pathology is so specific.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • Yendred

Français - France
    Would "got help from this technique" suit?

As for compte tenu, I would translate it by "considering the specific nature of..."

Kelly B

USA English
    I agree with you about take advantage of or profit from, but I don't think three patients were able to benefit from this technique sounds too strong - it's a more passive-sounding version than the others. And they did, in fact, have an opportunity that others do not.

kitty like a cat

USA English
    Thanks! I'm going with: Three patients were able to benefit from this technique considering the specific nature of their hemorrhoidal disease.
    Thanks for the help!

< Previous | Next >