Bürohochhäuserghetto

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
Hi, dear friends: Would anybody be able to provide a suitable translation for the phrase in bold( in the thread)?
Vielen Dank,
poly
In Hamburg brennen die Autos. Jede Nacht, wahllos angezündet. Aber in dieser einen Nacht am Mexikoring, einem Bürohochhäuserghetto im Norden der Stadt, sitzt noch jemand in seinem Fiat, als der anfängt zu brennen: Nouri Saroukhan, der verlorene Sohn eines Clans aus Bremen. War er es leid, vor seiner Familie davonzulaufen? Hat die ihn in Brand setzen lassen? Und was ist da los, wenn die Gangsterkinder von der Weser neuerdings an der Alster sterben?.

• polyglotwannabe

Spanish
    The usage of the word ghetto in, at least, AE, (and I'm certain it is the case for BE) has always a negative connotation attached to it. So, like bearded said, this ensemble of offices might be decayed, run-down, and dilapidated.

Kajjo

this ensemble of offices might be decayed, run-down, and dilapidated.
    Which is in fact not true for the mentioned area.

I guess, the author just wanted to use a more colorful term. The area is just an office area with a lot of high-rises. No real ghetto. The term is misleading here. Bad choice of words as so often with authors that want to sound more important.

Hutschi

The Bürohochhäuserghetto is usually not decayed.
    But it is a very expressionistic expression, and it is negative.

It is a metaphor, a poetical picture, similar to the poetic of the picture language of Metropolis.
    Fascinating and negative at the same time.

PS: Häuserschluchten und Tristesse.

Last edited:

Hutschi

Hi, I want to add some connotations.

When I was walking through Dresden in the new build centre, I had the feeling of being surrounded by big borders of concrete walls. No escape. No beauty. Overheated concrete. Almost no green. Heat and isolation. (... or insulation? - which is the idiomatic translation here for Isolation?)

I think this is one connotation.
    Another is connotation of isolation and lonelyness in the middle of lots of persons. Everyone sits in his or her cubicle. (I had this feeling in a new office where I worked for some years.)

Last edited:

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
    With every additional input you all give, more and more the idea of a figure of speech used by the author, one that entails all these sad feelings, takes hold of my mind.
    Thanks for your comment.

< Previous | Next >