B.A. and M.A.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vladislav, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Vladislav Senior Member

    Barcelona, Spain
  2. . 1 Banned

    Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    Master's is the nest step above Batchelor's.

  3. Valoverseas Member

    English, USA
    BA = Bachelor's of Art

    MA = Master's of Art

  4. born in newyork Senior Member

    New York
    B.A.: Bachelor of Arts (you get this with a four year college degree)

    M.A.: Master of Arts. (you get this with one or two years of "graduate school" study)
  5. Joelline

    Joelline Senior Member

    USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    B. A. = Bachelor of Arts degree

    M. A. = Master of Arts degree

    A doctorate is also called a Ph.D. (a Doctor of Philosphy degree)
  6. timpeac

    timpeac Senior Member

    English (England)
    In the UK you get your BA usually after 3 or 4 years of study and top it up to an MA with a further one year's study.
  7. Vladislav Senior Member

    Barcelona, Spain
    Arts... But Ohlin is an economist! Does it work for all the studies?
  8. panjandrum

    panjandrum Occasional Moderator

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It depends on the university. Some universities award arts degrees for economics, some science, some add (Econ) after the degree - BSc(Econ). I am sure there are other variants.
  9. Vladislav Senior Member

    Barcelona, Spain
    I hope they are not too numerous :eek: :)

    Thank you all.
  10. jess oh seven

    jess oh seven Senior Member

    UK/US, English
    Or if you study at particular universities in Scotland, you get an MA after four or five years of undergraduate study.
  11. JamesM

    JamesM Senior Member

    It's usually 4 years, sometimes a bit more, for a B.A. in the U.S. and an additional 2 years for an M.A. A Ph.D. is sometimes a separate track from an M.A. or M.S., and requires 3 to 5 years beyond your B.A. or B.S.

Share This Page