B, <except> A, will be given top priority

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
Background
There is an e-commerce platform which connects suppliers and buyers. The platform will sometimes send marketing mails to buyers. In determining what products to be promoted to a specific buyer, the platform has many criteria. Criterion A is given top priority and B is given the second highest priority. Now if my purpose is to highlight the importance of B, can I say:

B, except A, will be given top priority by the platform in determining what products to be marketed?

Does the sentence sound weird to you native English speakers? If so, do you have any suggestions for me so that I can make it both sound idiomatic and highlight the importance of B?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    It doesn't make sense as it stands. I think what you mean is: B, rather than A, will be given top priority by the platform in determining what products are to be marketed.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    It doesn't make sense as it stands. I think what you mean is: B, rather than A, will be given top priority by the platform in determining what products are to be marketed.
    No. That's not what I mean. As I said, B is given the second highest priority, and I want to highlight the importance of B.

By the way, thanks a lot for correcting my error.

lingobingo

English - England
    No. That's not what I mean. As I said, B is given the second highest priority, and I want to highlight the importance of B.
    Yes, first you say B has the second-highest priority, then you give a sentence that says "B … will be given top priority". This is what doesn't make sense.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You could use your explanation:

B should not be overlooked. B will be given second highest priority after A.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    Yes, first you say B has the second-highest priority, then you give a sentence that says "B … will be given top priority". This is what doesn't make sense.
    Actually, this sentence is translated by me from Chinese. The Chinese text, by literal translation, says that B, after excluding A, is given top priority.

lingobingo

English - England
    Well yes. Obviously, if you exclude the most important criterion (A), then the next most important (B) takes its place and becomes the most important.

But it's still not clear what this is all about. What do you mean by "if my purpose is to highlight the importance of B"?

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    But it's still not clear what this is all about. What do you mean by "if my purpose is to highlight the importance of B"?
    I am just doing translation. The writer wants to highlight B for some reason I don't know, so, I want my translation to communicate his emphasis.

< Previous | Next >