B.F. eyes quadruple for Man Utd and he is enjoying playing first-team football

Hi everyone,
another piece of writinge, always from BBC website.
"Foster eyes quadruple for Man Utd
Manchester United's Ben Foster is enjoying playing first-team football, and is delighted with his team's 2-1 win over Tottenham in the FA Cup, and is hopeful they can win all the competitions they are still in."
My attempt:"Foster :confused: :confused: per il Manchester United.
Ben Foster, del Man Utd, si sta divertendo giocando un calcio di primo livello :confused: :confused:, è deliziato dalla vittoria della sua squadra per 2 ad 1 sul Tottenham nella FA Cup, ed è pieno di speranze/fiducioso che lo United possa vincere tutte le competizioni in cui sono ancora in corsa"
I'm stuck on "Ben Foster is enjoying playing first-team football"and "Foster eyes quadruple for Man Utd"
Hope you can help me, thanks for your help
Peppe
-------
I was thinking about "Foster eyes quadruple for Man Utd"; could it mean that Foster simply would like to win all the four competitions they are still in? But how to translate that in English?
------
O potrebbe anche significare che Foster mette in guardia il Man United di stare attento in tutte e quattro le competizioni in quanto la concorrenza è molto alta?
In attesa di un vostro aiuto vi saluto
Peppe

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Memimao

United Kingdom English
    To eye something in sports journalistic English usually means something like aim to achieve/win.

Eyeing the quadruple means aiming to win all four competitions

Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    Ben Foster sta divertendosi giocare per la squadra 'A'.

Does that sound OK in Italian??? :)

It means he's made it into the first team (rather than the reserve team or the B squad) and he's enjoying the experience.

Ben Foster si sta divertendosi giocare giocando per la squadra 'A'?????

Does that sound OK in Italian?
    Now it's better ;) . In football context I think we in Italy translate the "first-team" as "prima squadra", in the sense that he doesn't play in tha "academy" (is this the correct word for the team in which play young footballers before they play for the first-team?) but in the first -team.
    However I 'll be waiting for football pundits' confirmations... :) (Maybe Villa Fan can help me :D)

Janey UK

Now it's better ;) . In football context I think we in Italy translate the "first-team" as "prima squadra", in the sense that he doesn't play in tha "academy" (is this the correct word for the team in which play young footballers before they play for the first-team?) but in the first -team.
    In England we have the youth teams, or the under-21 teams (each of which can have a first-team squad and a reserve squad) and the same holds true for the adult squad, when all the adult players will be fighting for a place on the first team (and a place on the starting bench).

Janey UK

No, academy isn't wrong. The English FA started its own football acadamy in 2001. So you progress through the academy until you get signed by a club, then you progress through the youth teams and the B teams within that club until you finally reach your goal of playing premier league first team football.

But hey, you may want to wait an expert's input here...I'm just a woman after all! ;):D

Janey UK

Just a question: Does academies exist for each football team or only for the FA?
    Most if not all of the big clubs have their own academies, and club talent scouts go up and down the country watching youngsters play so that they can attract the cream of the crop into the club at an early age (because it's cheaper to home-grow your stars of the future, rather than purchase them later at extortionate prices when they've already established their reputation).

The FA Academy came on the scene relatively late, and it's main remit is to spot talent early and develop it (with a view to producing players for the national squad).

< Previous | Next >