baby boom generation now in adulthood

Mariahhj

Persian
This late-life bond may be especially important to the “Baby Boom” generation now in adulthood, who average about 2 or 3 siblings apiece.

•Does this whole text mean that baby boom in this time is good for a supporting between siblings in later life and average is a verb or noun?

•source: “Beyond Rivalry” in my english book

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Unless you tell us more about "This late-life bond", I don't think we can help. :oops:

Loob

English UK
    Hello Mariahhj

Google led me to Beyond Rivalry, which I think is your source - am I right?

The late-life bond is the close relationship that people in later life may have with their own sisters and brothers. The text says that it may be especially important for the "Baby Boom" generation: the generation born just after the Second World War, when there was a huge increase in the number of babies born.

"Average" is a verb in your sentence: the idea is that "Baby Boomers" have, on average, two or three siblings.

Cross-posted with posts 3 & 4. And 6:)

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Average is acting as a verb here. They are saying the same thing as "Each baby boomer has on average two or three siblings." Average is taking the place of "has" as the verb.

They are saying it might be more important to members of the baby boom generation because on average they have more brothers and sisters than other generations.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    that baby boom in this time is good for a supporting between siblings in later life
    I asked for more context because unless we know what type of bond it is, it is not possible to say if the siblings support each other or not.

It seems likely that they will support each other, but that is not what the example says - that information is not in it.

Myridon

English - US
    (And, for the record, baby-boomers are at least in their 60s now.)
    Doing a little digging, the article appeared in the April 1988 of Psychology Today.
    Some define the baby boomers as those born up to 1964 so some of us are still in our mid-50s.

lingobingo

English - England
    Okay. I assumed baby boom only referred to about one decade after the war, not two, but I confess I didn’t check.

Mariahhj

Persian
    Yes,
    Hello Mariahhj

Google led me to Beyond Rivalry, which I think is your source - am I right?

The late-life bond is the close relationship that people in later life may have with their own sisters and brothers. The text says that it may be especially important for the "Baby Boom" generation: the generation born just after the Second World War, when there was a huge increase in the number of babies born.

"Average" is a verb in your sentence: the idea is that "Baby Boomers" have, on average, two or three siblings.

Cross-posted with posts 3 & 4. And 6:)
    Yes, you’re right.
    It was really helpful.
    Thank you so much <3 <3

< Previous | Next >