Baby don't blow it

sami33

arabic
Hi everybody!

I wonder whether or not the meaning of "blow" in this lyric is "leave".

Baby don't blow it,
Don't put my good advice to shame.
Baby you know it,
Even Dear Abby'd say the same.

Beauty School Drop Out Lyrics -Grease

Thanks.

• henryhiggins

USA English
    But as you suggested, it can also mean "to leave rapidly". I need to blow this town.

Therefore, we must infer the meaning of the idiom from context, which MarFish did by reading the next line, which refers to "advice".
    I am giving you good advice. Don't make the mistake of ignoring it.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Henryhiggins's sense (blow = leave quickly) is available only in AmE. I don't think I've heard it in BrE.

I think MarFish's sense is the correct one. It's related to sense 6 in the W R Dictionary:
    6 informal completely bungle (an opportunity)
    and expanded a little in the Macmillan Dictionary:
    blow
    6 [TRANSITIVE] INFORMAL to destroy your own chance of succeeding, or to waste a good opportunityI've completely blown my diet with that piece of chocolate cake.
    blow it: We were in with a good chance for that contract but you've really blown it now!

henryhiggins

USA English
    Henryhiggins's sense (blow = leave quickly) is available only in AmE. I don't think I've heard it in BrE.

I think MarFish's sense is the correct one....
    Hi natkretep,

Yes, as in my previous post, I agree that MarFish is correct in this context. However, since the original poster suggested "leave" as a possible interpretation, it did seem necessary to confirm that "to leave" (usually, rapidly) is indeed a common colloquial meaning of "(to) blow", at least in AE, and to provide the means of differentiating these two colloquial meanings.

Cheers,
    Henry H.

< Previous | Next >