baby in car, baby on abroad [board]

rumistar

Korean
Hi :)

baby in car(Sometimes, someone uses 'baby in the car'), baby on board.

I've seen both of them.
Which one is proper?
(Someone told me that 'baby in car' is wrong.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    It is not "baby on abroad." It is is "baby on board," as in someone being on board a plane, a ship, or a train.

With this change, both are correct. I have seen both on window tags, though "baby on board" is more common in my area.

rumistar

Korean
    It is not "baby on abroad." It is is "baby on board," as in someone being on board a plane, a ship, or a train.

With this change, both are correct. I have seen both on window tags, though "baby on board" is more common in my area.
    Oh, I did a mistake. You are right! I rewrote that word. How about 'baby in the car'?
    And Both 'baby in car' and 'baby in the car' are right?

Last edited:

gquixote

English
    Both are correct, yes. "Baby in the car" is extremely unusual for a bumper sticker though. It's not incorrect but it is redundant to include the word "the" because of course it's the car! I have never seen "baby in the car".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Both are correct, yes. "Baby in the car" is extremely unusual for a bumper sticker though...
    I've never seen one of these statements, or anything like them, on a bumper sticker. Bumper stickers are permanent, but the baby may or may not be in the car. In my area, at least, these tags tend to be on suction cups that attach to the inside of a window and can be removed easily when the baby isn't there.

rumistar

Korean
    Both are correct, yes. "Baby in the car" is extremely unusual for a bumper sticker though. It's not incorrect but it is redundant to include the word "the" because of course it's the car! I have never seen "baby in the car".
    Thank you for your explanation.:):thumbsup:
    Actually, I often see the sticker, 'baby in the car'.
    In my opinion, The people who made that sticker in my country did't care about it.
    Because They are non-native English speaker.
    Anyway, thank you so much!

Thank all you guys!

Last edited:

rumistar

Korean

Thank you for your reply!
    I thank you especially for letting me know the mistake.
    Your reply is very helpful!:)

sdgraham

USA English
    Note that [something] on board has become common nonsense in the United States. All kinds of things might be mentioned in this form, e.g. dogs, cats, etc.

See HERE for examples.

It's more of a brag than any kind of warning, in my opinion.

Along the same lines, I also have seen "baby on board" tee shirts worn by pregnant women.

"In the car" doesn't have quite the same cachet as "on board" in this realm of silliness.
    Actually, I often see the sticker, 'baby in the car'.
    I think your observation is correct that it's a failed attempt to use an English slogan.

rumistar

Korean
    Note that [something] on board has become common nonsense in the United States. All kinds of things might be mentioned in this form, e.g. dogs, cats, etc.

See HERE for examples.

It's more of a brag than any kind of warning, in my opinion.

Along the same lines, I also have seen "baby on board" tee shirts worn by pregnant women.

"In the car" doesn't have quite the same cachet as "on board" in this realm of silliness.

I think your observation is correct that it's a failed attempt to use an English slogan.
    Thank you for telling me many things about English.
    You are so kind!:thumbsup: I hope you're always happy.:)

< Previous | Next >