baby-papa

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
All the way Lloyd and Harry have been thinking that Harry is Penny's dad, but it turns out it's Lloyd. (They first meet Penny when she's twenty two). Lloyd:
-- It's true, Har. I'm the deadbeat dad, not you. I'm Penny's baby-papa.
Dumb and Dumber To, movie

Does it make sense? Thank you.

• waltern

English - USA
    It's just how the term is used - you had the right idea earlier, Lloyd is Fraida's baby's papa - look at the examples in Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary: baby mama

Oh her? She ain't nothing to me now, girl, she just my baby mama. So, can I get your number?

Joe didn't have any relationship with that chick, she was the "other woman" who ended up being his baby mama.​

Maybe Andy's baby mama is pissed because he said he was taking his sons to get a haircut but instead ended up playing dominoes with his boys.​

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I see, thank you everyone!
    One question: actually "baby-papa" should imply that Lloyd has brought Peeny up by himself, as a single father, but since Lloyd has just met her for the first time, he still uses the term incorrectly. I mean, that's where the scriptwriters's humor lies, right?

Loob

English UK
    I don't think I've ever heard "baby-papa" - or, indeed, "baby-mama". But I have heard "baby-daddy" = "father of my/your/her baby".

I imagine that Lloyd is using the term "baby-papa" incorrectly, as you and Sparky suggest, Vic. (Is Lloyd Dumb or Dumber, by the way?)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I don't think I've ever heard "baby-papa" - or, indeed, "baby-mama". But I have heard "baby-daddy" = "father of my/your/her baby".

I imagine that Lloyd is using the term "baby-papa" incorrectly, as you and Sparky suggest, Vic. (Is Lloyd Dumb or Dumber, by the way?)
    In the original movie, I was sure Lloyd was the 'dumber', but here... don't know:D

But tell please, what you mean by "father of my/your/her baby". I.e. -- whose baby?

I've found a definition in the Oxford Concise Dictionary:
    babymother (or babyfather)
    ■ noun black English
    the mother (or father) of one or more of one's children.

That is, baby-mother/father must be those of their own children, right?...

Loob

English UK
    But tell please, what you mean by "father of my/your/her baby". I.e. -- whose baby?
    Here's the way I've heard it, Vic:
    John is my baby-daddy = John is my baby's daddy/John is the father of my child.
    John is your baby-daddy = John is your baby's daddy/John is the father of your child.
    John is her baby-daddy = John is her baby's daddy/John is the father of her child.

I may be wrong!:)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    John is my baby-daddy = John is my baby's daddy/John is the father of my child.
    John is your baby-daddy = John is your baby's daddy/John is the father of your child.
    John is her baby-daddy = John is her baby's daddy/John is the father of her child.
    To make sure I get it right:
    babymother (or babyfather)
    ■ noun black English
    the mother (or father) of one or more of one's children
    The red "one's" refers to the red "my/your/her", right?:)

pob14

American English
    Just to be clear:
    One question: actually "baby-papa" should imply that Lloyd has brought Peeny up by himself, as a single father
    No.

Baby mama/baby daddy (I've never heard the "papa" version) does not imply anything about who raised the child. If I say that I am Penny's baby daddy, it means exactly two things:

1) I am the biological father of Penny's child, and
    2) Penny and I are not (and probably never have been) married.

As a side note, I do not recall seeing either the hyphenated version or the single word version, but the term is new enough that variations are certainly possible.

< Previous | Next >