Baby shower

Alaor Santos

Portuguese Brazil
Hi everyone

If people bring things for the future baby on a 'baby shower' event, what would you call an occasion when people bring kitchen utensils as gifts for the newly married couple's new house?

Thank you

• bluegiraffe

English - England
    This depends.

If you are talking about gifts given for the couple's marriage - they are wedding presents. If you are talking about homewares given to any person/couple/family when they move into a new home, they are housewarming gifts.

Majorbloodnock

British English
    Hi everyone

If people bring things for the future baby on a 'baby shower' event, what would you call an occasion when people bring kitchen utensils as gifts for the newly married couple's new house?

Thank you
    A wedding reception ;)

A baby shower is when friends "shower" the baby with gifts. However, for fairly obvious reasons, there is a delay of a few days where they let the mother and baby recover before visiting.

In contrast, a wedding is advertised in advance, so conventionally people will bring their presents with them and give them to the couple on their wedding day. Therefore, there is no separate name for the occasion when the gifts are brought, since there is no separate occasion.

All this is based on the assumption that the wedding is both Western and Christian. I cannot speak for any other traditions.

Majorbloodnock

British English
    Nary a post goes by without my learning something new. I looked up Baby Shower in Wikipedia and it suggested the event can happen before or after a child's birth. However, its timing is still (understandably) offset from the birth itself.

However, whilst reading the article, I found I was wrong about "showering with gifts", and that the term "shower" comes from a German called Franz Schauer who, as a silversmith, encouraged the New York upper classes to give presents (presumably made in silver) in celebration of a child's birth.

< Previous | Next >