bac à frire

snowwhite62

FRENCH
Bonjour à tous,
Comment appelle-t-on an anglais un "bac à frire", que l'on trouve chez les vendeurs de rue, pour cuire les frites et les saucisses ? est-ce que "frying tray" existe ?

• snowwhite62

FRENCH
    Does it also work for equipment of hotdogs sellers in the street ? Well, thinking about it, it's logical, it's just a big deep fryer... Thank you very much !

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    Could you describe which part of the equipment of the street vendor is the "bac à frire"? A deep fryer is the container with the hot oil and usually a basket where the firites go and then the basket is lowered into the oil to cook. It can also refer to a stand alone machine for frying that you can use at home.

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    Hot dogs are generally boiled or steamed in water, not fried in oil. (street vendors)
    At home people often just throw them on the grill (weather permitting, of course).

snowwhite62

FRENCH
    you're right.. I didn't think about the fact that hot dogs are steamed or boiled... (the person who asked me to translate this neither, in fact) so the word I need would be "the hot dog steamer", if this word exists...

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    If you are talking about the whole thing, it's called a "stand". A hot dog stand, an ice cream stand, etc. It's the little vehicle type structure that holds all the cooking equipment and supplies.

That's why I was asking what "bac à frire" refers to specifically.

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    Yes, there is such a thing as a hot dog steamer.

But can you enlighten me as to the French expression? Is it the steamer/fryer or the stand?

Thanks!

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    Hot dog steamer it is, then! At least in NY.
    I know that some sausages are grilled in other parts of the world, but not hot dogs in NYC, always steamed.
    If the sausages are grilled, then I would simply call it a grill.

Many thanks.

< Previous | Next >